1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head in a box? Is it worth it?!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by nOrOOtnOtes, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Good morning, afternoon or evening,

For the past 10 years now i've had pretty much the exact same live rig. 5 str P bass into a GK 800 rb head. Its so damn crispy + punchy and DIs super well in the studio. I've never had any problems with it but gigging post-pan venues are wanting fewer and fewer hands on stage moving amps/plugging things in etc.

Do any of you have experience with the GK plex preamp pedal? I know it retails for close to $500 (CAD) but from what I've heard it sounds quite close to the 800 rb. How about just a solid, all around, sounds-huge-and-makes-everything-sound-better preamp DI pedal? Not having the subs from the amp on stage would be sad indeed but I figure Geddy Lee hasn't used an amp onstage in like 30 years so it must be possible.

Would love to hear your thoughts

-nrn

Zbysek likes this.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The tone hammer and Subway DI are both very good. I preferred the Subway enough to purchase a D-800+ which I like a lot. No experience with the PLEx. I also have a 700-RB-II which is a great daily driver.

Personally I like move a little air. Not a ton but more than I would get from high passed wedges.

s0c9 likes this.
  3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I had a few issues with my Plex, the power cycling and the output levels. None at all with the sound though, it sounds GREAT and very much like a real GK head.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You could also take one of the micro GK heads 200, 500, mb fusion. They are all happy with no cab. I've put a bunch of low volume dates on a 200 and hundreds if not more on a 500 and mb-fusion.

Zbysek likes this.
  5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I have not tested it, but there's a GK 800RB model in Line 6 Helix/Stomp/Pod Go.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I have, and that is also brilliant.

7. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Most of my HX Stomp presets are based on it! I've not A/Bed it with an actual 800RB to see how close they are.

8. Danny C

Danny C

Oct 31, 2018
    Arkham Oracle

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
  10. I have the PLEX, and used it for quite a while using IEMs, very good sounding for a solid state pre.

I ended up switching back to my ADA MB-1 lately, which is a monster sounding preamp. But the Plex holds up very well to it. I wanted something I could actually rack mount though, was using magnets to hold the PLEX to the front of my rack. Otherwise might still be using it. I use PLEX as a practice amp at home now, and love the sound.

I'm not an effects/overdrive guy, so I haven't tried it's overdrive/grit settings.

Randy

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021