Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head or cab first?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 25, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    After christmas my financial life should be a bit better, and to celebrate, i want to upgrade my amp. Now at the moment i have a peavey TNT 115BW. 150 watts, 15 inch speaker. What i eventually want to get is a head (either tube or solid state) and a 4x10 on a 1x15.

I cant decide what should come first, the head, or the 4x10. I have roughly $1000AUS ($720US). As for power, well anything above 150, my peavey is struglling to keep up at band practice. I have no idea about resistance, ohms, and what cant go through what by the way :)

i was looking at the Hartke 3500 for a head, but i have no idea where to start for a cab. Ive email a few places and just asked them what they have, and enquired about their second hand stock aswell.

Thanks in advance!
    -Kirbo

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    haven't you been paying attention to your own forum?! :confused: :eek: :p

i'd go for the cab if you have a speaker out on your peavey... that way, you will be able to paly the darn thing and not just look at it (like you would just a head) and increase your g.a.s. to paramount levels... :eek: :D

3. Used Gear = Usually good.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Your TNT will put out 200 watts at 2ohms. I am not sure how much louder you would be adding another cab and 50 watts to your sound. 410, and 115 at 200 watts?

You could always bypass the 15", and run the 150 watts at 4ohms into your 410. If I had to decide, I would buy the cab first.

-Mike

5. i did wat u r doing..i had a peavey TNT115-scorpian.. i bought my lab systems 410 hp, and ran it off my peavey 4 a while..

but saying that, your speaker can only be/sound as good as the amp running it..if i were you i would get a really good head first, that way at gigs you can send a good sounding signal to the desk etc.. and run the 15 from your peavey off the good head, just have to make up a jack in the back or something.

as for head, the hartke's are nice, i kinda wish i bought one.. they r well priced to, and damn loud for there power rating...maybe try and get a second hand lab systems head, where abouts in aus r u from??

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Melbourne. I emailed bass centre and asked them about their heads and 4x10 cabs, but i havent got a reply as of yet.

7. You'd be a lot louder adding the extra cab, pushing a lot more air.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the power handling of the 1x15 BW cabs are? I got one used that had the rating peeled off the back of it...