Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head or Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Jan 10, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    OK, I'm ready for a new rig, the Ampeg just isn't doing it anymore. I was thinking a new 2x10, and a pre/power set up. I had the chance to recently play my amp thru a 4 ohm 2x10 (Goliath Jr II) and wasn't happy with the volume. I think the 2 extra 10's I am used to help alot. So then I was thinking, what if I got a nice 4x10, pre/power set up?

Either way, I'll probably have to do it one at a time. So I guess my question is, which piece should I change first? I was thinking cab, but now I think amp.

Oh, I've already started buying some rack gear, I know I wan't to go that route:)

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What do you have now?

Can you use the cabinet you have now to supplement a new 2x10 and/or amp?

What exactly do you not like about your current setup? Do you want more volume/presence or better tone, or both?

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I just read your profile. . .

If your current 4x10 is 8 ohm, you could add on another 8 ohm 2x10, 1x15, 4x10, etc. etc. I don't think you'll find a 2x10 that will compete volume-wise with a 4x10, although simply adding another cabinet to your existing rig will probably make some difference. The next step could then be a more power to more efficiently drive your cabinets.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yeah, that's the rig. I was just thinking, 2 less speakers (2x10) can't be as loud as a 4x10, due to less air being moved. I think in order to remain happy with my volume, I'll have to keep at least a 4x10. I am considering a 4 ohm 4x10, and 6x10's. I am not a fan of the 8x10 idea. Yes, I can move one, Yes my car can fit one, No, I just don't want to do it.;)

As far as your question about the sound, it's hard for me to describe. There isn't enough bass for one, and no amount of EQ'ing seems to help. So a ported cab is what I may need. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and any suggestions are welcome. I don't have any cares about brand, so bring 'em on!