1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head or Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Jan 10, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    OK, I'm ready for a new rig, the Ampeg just isn't doing it anymore. I was thinking a new 2x10, and a pre/power set up. I had the chance to recently play my amp thru a 4 ohm 2x10 (Goliath Jr II) and wasn't happy with the volume. I think the 2 extra 10's I am used to help alot. So then I was thinking, what if I got a nice 4x10, pre/power set up?

Either way, I'll probably have to do it one at a time. So I guess my question is, which piece should I change first? I was thinking cab, but now I think amp.

Oh, I've already started buying some rack gear, I know I wan't to go that route:)

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What do you have now?

Can you use the cabinet you have now to supplement a new 2x10 and/or amp?

What exactly do you not like about your current setup? Do you want more volume/presence or better tone, or both?

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I just read your profile. . .

If your current 4x10 is 8 ohm, you could add on another 8 ohm 2x10, 1x15, 4x10, etc. etc. I don't think you'll find a 2x10 that will compete volume-wise with a 4x10, although simply adding another cabinet to your existing rig will probably make some difference. The next step could then be a more power to more efficiently drive your cabinets.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yeah, that's the rig. I was just thinking, 2 less speakers (2x10) can't be as loud as a 4x10, due to less air being moved. I think in order to remain happy with my volume, I'll have to keep at least a 4x10. I am considering a 4 ohm 4x10, and 6x10's. I am not a fan of the 8x10 idea. Yes, I can move one, Yes my car can fit one, No, I just don't want to do it.;)

As far as your question about the sound, it's hard for me to describe. There isn't enough bass for one, and no amount of EQ'ing seems to help. So a ported cab is what I may need. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and any suggestions are welcome. I don't have any cares about brand, so bring 'em on!