head or pre/power???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jul 16, 2004.

1. ok right now i have a 8-ohm avatar 2x12 and the behringer bx3000t head (300watts @4ohms) so right now i am pushing about 175 watts through the cab, which is alright but i need to be a little more power. i am planning on getting the 2x10 cab to throw on top this will convert it to 4 ohms. as soon as i do that i am planning on getting a better power source what do you guys think would be better, a head probably around 500 watts or a pre/power setup i would probably get one of those QSC PLX power amps. what would be the pro cons of the head and the pre/power???? i have a variety of gigs such as very small bars in whitch i would use the 2x10 cab alone, i have medium aized gigs where i would use the 2x12 aalone, and i have big gis like 500 people outdors that is when i would use the 2x12 and 2x10 together. which one the head or the pre/power would give me alot of power but let me do really small gigs also, i just want a power source that can do it all!
  2. o yea definitly!

its just the behringer- i know it wont last very long
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would try the new speaker first. If the Behringer has enough volume and you are just looking for a replacement, get another head.

* One less thing to carry!
    * One less cable to go bad

Pre/Power Amp:
    * More flexibility
    * More power
  4. i think i am going to go for the head cab route, it just seems like it would be alot easier, plus i really dont think i need 1000 watts of power. what do you guys think about the yorkville xs400h head i think it is 475 watts @ 4 ohms, and has a tube pre-amp.