1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

head or pre/power???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jul 16, 2004.

1. ok right now i have a 8-ohm avatar 2x12 and the behringer bx3000t head (300watts @4ohms) so right now i am pushing about 175 watts through the cab, which is alright but i need to be a little more power. i am planning on getting the 2x10 cab to throw on top this will convert it to 4 ohms. as soon as i do that i am planning on getting a better power source what do you guys think would be better, a head probably around 500 watts or a pre/power setup i would probably get one of those QSC PLX power amps. what would be the pro cons of the head and the pre/power???? i have a variety of gigs such as very small bars in whitch i would use the 2x10 cab alone, i have medium aized gigs where i would use the 2x12 aalone, and i have big gis like 500 people outdors that is when i would use the 2x12 and 2x10 together. which one the head or the pre/power would give me alot of power but let me do really small gigs also, i just want a power source that can do it all!

2. o yea definitly!

its just the behringer- i know it wont last very long

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would try the new speaker first. If the Behringer has enough volume and you are just looking for a replacement, get another head.

Head:
    * One less thing to carry!
    * One less cable to go bad

Pre/Power Amp:
    * More flexibility
    * More power

4. i think i am going to go for the head cab route, it just seems like it would be alot easier, plus i really dont think i need 1000 watts of power. what do you guys think about the yorkville xs400h head i think it is 475 watts @ 4 ohms, and has a tube pre-amp.