Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head phones for bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    As stated in the title, I need some headphones. Just for practice, not for recording or anything serious. My friend has a home studio set up and I've played my bass through his headphones, which are really cheap (aprox $30 new) and I didn't have any problems - I likes my tone. I don't recall if I played anything below low E. I checked an online store and saw them for $50 - $150+. I'm thinking I'll check all the local shops and buy the cheapest pair I can find. Is there any reason the I should spend the money for more expensive headphones? Can anybody recomend any cheap brand for headphones that are descent? Has anybody ever had a problem with cheap headphones producing low notes (low B)?

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive had problems with cheap headphones and am interested in the replys as well.

3. T4b

T4b

Oct 9, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I would recommend Sennheiser headphones. I have a pair (model HD 437) which I got for EUR30 (about $35) and they are great. They have a frequency range of 20Hz to 21,000Hz so they're good enough for a low B and possibly lower.

I have played my bass through them a few times (plugging them into my amp) and they generally sound better than my amp. Not that that would be hard as it's pretty crappy. They could even handle full volume from bass and amp without much distortion.

Of course they work fine for normal music listening too, I use them everyday with my discman and my computer in work. They are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned, and I have had a fair few different sets. Well balanced across all the frequencies, so every part of the music sounds good. I don't even need the bass boost on my discman. They are also very comfortable, nicely padded, don't dig into me anywhere.

Sennheiser have a large range of models for prices from about $25 to $500+, I believe, so you should be able to find something within your budget. I'd go for something above the very cheapest, but they are likely all pretty good.

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  5. I used to do a lot of recording and live audio work. Here is a great website for all of your headphone information and buying needs.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php

I personally spent about 250$ on a good pair of flat frequency headphones and have had them for about three years. I do not regret buying them at all. You can hear every thing on your bass. Put in a CD and you I guarentee you will here things you never heard on your cheap headphones.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I spend good money on quality headphones as well.

I have had my Audio-Techneca's for a year now and they have brought me nothing more than excellent performance. I bought em for around $125.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I second the Sennheiser
    They also make an earbud set that produces real nice bass for their size.

8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Another vote for Sennheiser. What you need to check on the specs for your headsets is the low frequency they will reproduce. You'll be able to play a low B but you may not recognize it as such;)