Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head phones while playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    My church is considering buying headphones for the musicians to wear while we play, from what I have been told, you can adj the headphones to hear whatever vocals/instruments you want to hear to your own personal taste, does anyone here have any experience with these? your input will be very helpful considering the fact that these are suspose to be somewhat spendy.:bawl:

2. It's a good investment.. in fact, don't even think about doing a medium-to-large sized gig without in-ear monitors ( or headphones ) ;).

It really enables you to hear yourself over the crowd / rest of the band. So no more " hey i can't hear myself, lets give the good old volumeknob a spin "-drama's. Lets just hope your sound-guy/girl knows how to handle them.

3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    -drama's. Lets just hope your sound-guy/girl knows how to handle them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Our sound people, Thats a whole different story that just makes my head hurt to think about:mad: Hey, I thank you for your reply:cool: do you know the price range??

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    We have a sysem very similar to this at church.

We have an onstage headphone amp with a special "headphone mix" that has only wha the instumentalists think is important to hear. The headphone ampo also has an AUX in so we can blend our own signal as high or low as we want to in the channel we are monitoring. So I get the mix with bass already in it, and I can can then dial in as much more bass as I need on top of that. It works great, and keep down the levels of the monitors, which solve many other problems.
    It works best if you have electronic drums, or at least miced drums.
    Just make sure that the sound guys can give you a special mix for the headphones, that is far more important than they will probably admit. I am both my church's Bass player and A/V director, so I see the argument for both sides.

5. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Can I assume that we have COMPLETE control over what we want to hear in our headphones once the sound people get it hooked up,also, if I adjust my bass in my headphones, does it adj in the others headphones as well? I hope not:meh: I am hoping that each one of us will be in complete control over the volume and instruments/vocals in our own sets, please advise:confused: I think this will solve a major problem we have now playing through monitors, If the drummer plays loud " and I dont expect him to play any other way" then the keyboard plays louder because he has trouble hearing, and it just snowballs from there, the next thing you know, its out of control in:mad:

6. My in-ear system ( Shure PSM200 ) has 2 separate inputs that i can mix to any degree that i want to. The signal is then transmitted wireless to a receiver that has a volume knop. And it then feeds 2 miniature earphones that have amazing good sound-quality.

One signal comes directly from my amp's line-out, and the other signal comes from the PA's line-out. I usually have it on 70/30. It really helps, because the soundguy can mix his stuff the way he wants, and yet i still can decide for myself how much bass i want to hear. without causing serious internal damage to the audience by cranking my 18" way up.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    In our system, each person has complete control to mix in as much or little of themselves as they want.

Any changes that would affect everybodies headphones would have to be made at the mixing board, where the AUX send signal comes from

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    By the way Fire, I love your sig!

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

:eek: :eek: :eek:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the headphone/in-ear monitors are really the best option. I was anti at first but I really grew to like them with the former band that I was in because it was simply the best way to hear the mix without blowing your eardrums out. The only thing I missed was really hearing my rig because the professional in-ear monitors that I was using pretty much blocked out the outside noises.

brad cook

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think there's a range of price options. At the top end of the market, I believe you can get systems that use Cat-5 networking cable to send a digital version of the mix allowing each person to tweak as they wish. They also have hearing protection built in so that a rouge signal getting to the soundboard shouldn't leave the musicians curled up on the floor and bleeding from the ears. However, I believe they are on the 'spendy' side! I'd imagine that this might be too much control for most people and you could end up with people wasting time playing with their mix or wasting the equipment by using a suboptimal mix because they don't understand the system.

Quite a lot cheaper, I think, are headphone mixers like the Rolls PM 350. There you can blend a feed from the PA with your own vocal and instrumental signal - less control, but I think this would would allow each person to have a good basic mix spiced up with 'more of me'.

I've not got first hand experience of either system, but the latter is something I'd particularly like to try if I could find somewhere that stocks them in the UK.

Wulf