Head problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GoneFarAway, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

I have a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 head and Avatar cabs (4x10 and 1x15).
    When I went to band practice and plugged in yesterday, my amp sounded exactly like a guitar amp does when it's not grounded (like when you have to put your hand on the strings to stop the buzzing). The sound seemed to come from the center of the 4x10 cab.

I've since tried the amp in a bunch of different outlets but I get the same buzzing noise everywhere.

Anyone have a similar experience? I called the local amp repairman, but he's out of town for now :( The amp sounds like I can still use it, but I don't want to risk it...but im dying to play bass.

2. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    It's not exactly clear from your post, and Avatar's site doesn't show it well either, but I'm guessing that the horn in the 410 cabinet is in the center of the cabinet, and is the source of the noise. If so, it may simply be making audible some line noise or hum harmonics.

--Does it vary with the amp's volume setting?

--Does it vary with the volume setting on your bass?

--If you only connect the 115 cabinet and listen carefully, is it making the same sounds, only much, much quieter?

--And was this noise previously absent, and if so what did you change between then and now?
  3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Try turning the tweeter down.
  4. kmacleish,

Thanks for the response. The buzzing I describe definitely comes from the center of the cabinet, and it does vary depending on the amp's volume setting, however,

The noise was never there before. I didn't change anything....I leave my head and cabinets at the house we practice at because they're too much to lug around, especially when we don't have easy access to our cars.

If it is the cabinet, is it easily fixable? Is it safe to play through until I get it repaired?
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Turn the dial on the back to "0" or all the way to the left.
  6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Gonefaraway have you tried turning the tweeter down like i suggested?
  7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sound like your bass needs to be grounded
  8. mic,

I just tried that. It helps, but I don't really like the sound of it...I see it as a temporary solution.

Bill: Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. But even when I hold my hand over the strings, it buzzes. And, it's never done this before, and my bass sounds fine through my combo amp.