Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassistSteve, May 22, 2005.

1. BassistSteve

BassistSteve

May 22, 2005
    Hey, I'm new here but have surfed the forums for quite awhile now and have a bit of a problem:

A few weeks ago I bought a Hartke HA3500 head off eBay from a seller with 100% feedback and 100 sales.

At this time I didn't have a cab but 2 days ago I finally bought one! It's a Yorkville Traynor 400 watt.

So.. two days ago I tested it out, and it sounded amazing! It was extemly loud at volume 1.

The second day I played it, it continued to please me but as I was turning it off it made a weird buzzing noise (nothing too noticable or something that would concern me).

Several hours later I went to play again only to find out, that it was quiet and distorted at volume 1.

I am just wondering if this has ever happened to any of you and how to fix it. Thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Does it do it with both the solid state and the 'tube' pre-amps?

3. BassistSteve

BassistSteve

May 22, 2005
    Well both are quiet, but distortion comes more from the solid state.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Hmmmm. That could be bad mojo...where are you running the pre-amp settings and where are you running your master volume setting?

5. BassistSteve

BassistSteve

May 22, 2005
    Master volume was at 1 and used to be super loud. Tube pre-amp was at 7 and solid state at 8.

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Try reversing those settings. I find it odd that you're getting high volume like that...but you're probably overdriving the power amp section with the pre's.

I know that the manual with the amp tells you to crank the pre-amp sections and use little master volume, but that's completely counter to conventional wisdom. You're apt to get distortion, and worse, you're inviting pre-amp clipping which could trash your speaker cab. I used to run my 3500 with the power amp at about 2 or 3 o'clock and the pre's down around 1 or 2 (maybe 7-8 o'clock or so). Make the power amp work for it.

See if that helps.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    7 and 8 as in way to the right? or as in clock positions?

if that's way to the right then you are clipping the preamp. for the most part, most heads start to clip the preamp (distort) past about 1 o'clock on the knob.

8. BassistSteve

BassistSteve

May 22, 2005
    Hmm.. Well I did have them at 7 and 8 of 10... as in around 1 and 2 o'clock. This may have led to the problem I'm having... and now I've tried about every setting possible and nothing is changing, it's just staying quiet and distorted.

For furture use, what should the pre-amp settings be at? And do you think I blew something by having them at 1 and 2 o'clock.. even though the volume was only at 7 o'clock (volume 1)?

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would set your power amp volume first...I used a 3500 for 12 years without a problem...I always had my main power between noon and 3 o'clock. Then brought up the pre amp until it was loud enough, which in my case, was never past about 9-10 o'clock with only the tube preamp.

can you take a line out from the XLR in the back? Is it distorted or is it clean? Does that have voume? That should be able to tell you if the problem is in the pre or the power stage. It could be as simple as the tube needs to be replaced (you could do it yourself for under 10$)...since the two 'pre' controlls are not really independent on that amp. or you may have a problem in the power section. Have you tried the head with another cab? is it possible that you clipped bad enough that you fried your speakers?