Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head problems, no sound, SOUND, no sound,,,,,SOUND.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 23, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright.

I have a Crate BT-350 (hybrid) amp. A while back, it went in after I turned on the power switch, only to see flecks of sparks fly out of it when it cranked on. It finally gave out, and it cost 80 bucks to replace (Some BS like "It was hard to get to the switch). Now, after working fine for a while, during playing, the sound will just drop completly. then flick on, then flick off. Now, the amp seems to be running fine, power is getting to it, no light flick on or off or anything like that, the only difference is that sound mute. Thats what it sounds like, someone muting the sound and odd times. After turning it off, then back on, it relives the problem.

It's not a bad cable, and it's not my bass battery....(I don't think. I just replaced it).
    Unless someone played it and left it plugged in for a long time. But I doubt a battery can go dead in 3 days. The battery life has always been great, so I'm thinking it's a amp problem. I have never replaced the pre-amp tube.... maybe I should?

2. As much as it hurts, ( the hip pocket ) amp diagnostics are best left to the technician with the right tools. There are lots of little things that can go wrong and cause it to not work. If it wasn't too long ago that you had it repaired, get them to look at it again, as it may just be something amiss that they did, like a bad solder job which is small and easy to fix. Pre amp tubes usually last a long time in a bass amp, but it's also an easy thing to test while on the workbench.
    Try another battery in your bass first though, And re-check all your leads ( including speaker box(s)).

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Had the exact same problem once. Everything was fine, except the sound kept going. Bothered me for ages.

You know what it was? The headphone socket was dirty, so it kept thinking I was plugging in headphones and the speaker went mute. :p

Wasted about £50 on different technicians and repair people and all it took was a clean out with an old toothbrush. In short, check the headphone socket. :D