Head Question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tucker, Mar 6, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Is a SWR Mo'Bass a head or an effects thing? If you want a picture look in Bass Player Jan edition or any of them and they have it near the front like on page 2 or 4 or around there.
  2. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    The Mo' Bass is a head, and it kicks, I have wet dreams thinking about that thing at night. It is 900w @ 4ohms. I think. But yeah, it has onboard digital effects, there are a lot of guitar heads out there like that, but I really like the Mo' Bass for the pedal, and the power, only thing holding me back is the $1999 price tag. Check it out at http://www.swrsound.com it is under the "professional" tab in the product section, it would go nice with the megolopolis, a good 8x10 cab. with a $1999 price tag.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Eh, i disagree. IMO, the Mo' Bass tone blows, and it is WAY overpriced for its lack of versatility and poor construction.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im gonna go out on a limb here, Ive played through every swr head they offer and i didnt like a single one enough to make me want to buy it. I think the Mo bass is very over-rated for the money they ask for it.
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb too. After A-B'ing everything in several stores, I chose the SWR 4004 with 2x10 workingman cab.

Certainly there are amps that I would choose over this setup but not in the same price range.

Sound choice is very subjective. My cup of tea may not work for everyone. Let your ears be the judge.

Heck, I am a big Peavey fan but if I agreed with a lot of what I read in these forums, I wouldn't even consider Peavey.

I agree with you, Cass, For me to pay that kind of money for the Mo-Bass would be a joke because it doesn't fit in with my music. I may be jamming one night with an acoustic guitarist and fiddle but be playing with an electric guitarist, drum kit and keys the next night. On the weekend, If I'm gigging with my regular band, I'll be using the same amp to play DB through.

To make a short story long, versatility and portability are big considerations in my personal choice. If I don't have enough "grunt" in the amp I DI to the board and let the sound man deal with it.

If I'm lucky enough to play something where I'm grossly underpowered, I would rent a system for that gig. I can play a lot of gigs for less expense than owning the rig. If my regular band books something that requires renting anything that we don't already have, the rent is taken off the top, spreading it out so no one person gets nicked too hard.

I wonder if there are really any bad amps out there. It seems like every brand is selling enough to stay in business.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Picking up on what Angus said, the Mo' has been getting hammered on quality of construction. More than a couple new owners I read about were excited when they used it initially, but then they ran into performance problems. There was some speculation that it may have been rushed to make sure it peaked at Christmas buying time.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Bass Player reviewed the Mo' Bass in December. You can read the review here: http://www.bassplayer.com/

IMO, the head got pretty mediocre grades for a head costing two Gs.