head questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 28, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, so im still a little unsure as to the workings of heads and cabs, so ive got a few questions:

-If its a 300 W head into 4 ohm, and i want an 8 ohm cab for now, how high does the wattage rating on that cab need be to fully utilize the head at 8 ohms?

-If i get a pedal of some kind, should i run it bass->pedal->head?

-If i hook up 2 cabs, do i run to cables from a head, or one cable to a cab, and then one cable from that cab to the other cab

I checked the FAQ and did a search, and still wasnt sure.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001

As a guess at what you have described, a solid state amp will probably make 240w or so at 8 ohms. How high the power rating needs to be is a matter of opinion. It should at least be rated at 250w or so if you planning on pushing it hard.

Maybe. Your head *might* have an effects loop and you could run the signal from effects send > pedal and from pedal back into > effects return. It might have lower noise that way. Or it might sound nasty.

It probably makes no difference at all.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think there are a few issues that are confusing you.

...pretty much all heads these days will run 4 or 8 ohm loads, some will go down to two. The higher the impedance (in most, not all cases), the lower your wattage is going to be. So, 300w at 4 is probably around 240w at 8.

The wattage rating of a cab, doesn't really have anything to do with the power you're going to be seeing out of your rig. For instance, my cab is rated at 1000w...while the head I use is rated at 300w. How much is my rig capable of? 300 watts. The cab ratings are usually a very rough guide to tell you how much you could safely put into your cab without risking damage (that's a very broad statement and very imprecise).

****Keep in mind, that wattage is a power rating and not a volume rating. The ratio of wattage to volume is NOT a straight ratio. It takes a lot more than twice the watts to get twice the volume.

So, why do we sometimes use 8ohm cabs?

a. sometimes the wattage we see is enough even at a reduced power rating

b. some of us like to be able to combine several cabs and get more volume in bigger situations

Now, you can usually run your 2 cabs both off of the amp (the method I prefer) OR you can run them by daisy chaining them.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can't "fully utilize" the head at 8 ohms. Its maximum output with an 8-ohm load will be around 160 to 180 watts. So I'd say any cab that can handle 200 watts and up will work fine.

Some pedals sound best the way you describe the connection, but some are intended to go into an effects loop so you can control the balance of uneffected sound and the effects.

To hook up two cabs, you can connect them either way you described. There's no difference.