1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head + Small cab for home practice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by janogonzalez, Apr 26, 2015.

1. janogonzalez

janogonzalez

Apr 26, 2015
    Hey bassists,
    I play alone daily at home, rehearse with bands like twice a month and play live like twice a year. Currently, to play at home, I use a TonePort GX + some old Samson Resolv 40a monitors, which is kind of okeyish but since one of my speakers is now broken, it sounds really bad in certain tones. Also, for rehearsal and live I use whatever amp they have available.

I've been searching through the amps forum, but it still not clear to me, can I get a 200W - 350W head (e.g. Aguilar ToneHammer 350, Ampeg PF350) and a small cab (I don't know which) to play at home or will it be too loud? I'm considering this option to use the same amp for rehearsal and live playing situations but with more powerful cabs. Or should I just settle down for a small practice amp? Maybe get a preamp DI to have similar tone everywhere?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Any amp can be too loud in a lot of situations, but you can turn down!

Mike_1978 and iualum like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Beside small, sound quality , price n weight also important.

I recommand rumble 200/500 head + 112 cab.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  4. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Ampeg PF350 with the PF115 cabinet might work, and sound great. I have the PF500 running the 115 and it sure does, plus a bit more headroom than the 350, with nice gain and compressor options.

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    This can cover all the bases I love mine.
    This is an Ibanez Promethian 3110 with a Overton 110 ext. Mini rig of boom.
    20150303_194523.

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Given your conditions, I'd strongly suggest the PF350/500/800 (get the 800 if you can afford it, the extra headroom and lack of issues is worth it, but the PF350 is a great head, and one I use often) with the PF115. This combination is very light, easily transportable in one hand, can be loud, can be quiet, sounds phenomenal, has iPod inputs and headphone outputs for silent practice, and is fairly affordable. I rocked this very combination (PF500, then upgraded to PF800) for years, and was ecstatic with it, until I had to be much louder for my current band.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK 400 and a Bag End 15 come to mind.
    Affordable,Portable, loud and you can turn it down for home practice.

8. Check out the Traynor SB200H and a TC210 cab, affordable, light and sounds great. I have the SB500H and if you're willing to drop a little extra dough it's worth it for the extra headroom.

MuthaFunk, bebass and 47th Street like this.
  9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes. Knobs turn counter-clockwise, too :laugh: .

Mike A and 47th Street like this.
  10. janogonzalez

janogonzalez

Apr 26, 2015
    Yeah, due to my lack of experience in bass amps I thought that setting the volume too low I was going to loose the "sweet spot" or something, if that's not the case the only limit will be the budget.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, of course. Use the same amp. Also, why not use the same cab? Everyone would like to spend less rather than more, but what's your budget & where are you located? The Gallien-Krueger MB200 is a high quality amp for small bux (~$200 used in excellent/mint shape). Just not super powerful. Still, its 200 RMS mated to a nice (again, used) 115, 210, or 212 is probably more than plenty for your situation. It's tiny & will fit in the pocket of a gig bag.

Depending on your transportation situation, you might also want to consider a lightweight folding hand truck.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    It isn't.

13. janogonzalez

janogonzalez

Apr 26, 2015
    I'm located in Berlin, I'm trying to find something < 500€. For example in the used market a Little Mark 250 is around 200€, and a ToneHammer 350 is around 400€. I can play with earphones for a while until I get a cab (I don't like playing with earphones). Another option is getting a practice combo and a preamp DI, so I can just bring the preamp to rehearsals to get a somewhat similar tone everywhere.

14. It doesn't sound the same when turned down but you can dial in some more lows, until the neighbours complain.

My opinion of expensive practice amps is low. Anything that makes a bass noise is fine for practicing. You can't learn to sculpt tone properly until you play ensemble. So you might as well buy a WMD. Something at the suitcase nuke end of the scale rather than ICBM.

Suitcase nukes cost a bit but doubling the payload is easy with the extension cab.

15. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I like the Bergantino HD112, very small with a huge deep sound. Any decent head should drive it.

16. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I just use headphones and a Zoom B3. I don't even own an amp

kapaauguy, singlemalt and 47th Street like this.
  17. I practice at very low volume with a PF500 & Ampeg SVT-210av. Sounds Good, Looks Good. It can keep up at a low-ish volume gig or if you have 2 of the cabs (or good PA support) you could keep up pretty well for a medium sized bar gig.

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    A Fender Rumble 100 Combo will do you proud every time. Light; Loud, and Affordable. Great Tone Too.

Yahboy likes this.
  19. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I absolutely LOVE my SWR LA15. It took me several steps up until I found the right amp for my home...not my gig (I have the big amp that I haven't used in 2 years). I aspired to an SWR for many years, so when I found the LA series I was ecstatic...and I'm still ecstatic!

20. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I love my SB200H and my SB500H. Both terrific build quality and sound really good. If I wanted only a bedroom amp - the SB200H is fine. But like you say, for just a little bit more the SB500H can be turned down for bedroom practice and turned up for the stage.