Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

head/sonic maximizer/exciter question(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oborobassplayer, Feb 5, 2006.

1. oborobassplayer

oborobassplayer

Feb 5, 2006
    I currently own a Fender Bassman 2-15" cab. ( Newer Model) The cab is 8 ohms and has a 300w power handling. Originally I had the matching Bassman 300 head, but it was simply too much work to maintain (tube wise) I've decided to go with the Gallien Krueger 700RB and run it at 8 ohms. It will match up power really well. But, I also want to invest in either a maximizer or exciter to really clean up the sound and make it tight. Anyone have any suggestions on what to invest in? I've heard that Aphex makes a good exciter, and BBE makes a good sonic maximizer. Anyone had any good/bad experiences out of these? If so, lend me a little advice for my particular application. Thanks

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Welcome to TB! I'm sure you'll find that your GK will sound much tighter than the Fender. Use the Search function and you'll find lots of reviews -- I use the BBE and like it very much.

3. Never compared the two. I used to have a BBE, it did seem to make a big difference, making everything seem tighter, brighter, deeper. I upgraded my rig (from solid state to tubes) and after that it didn't make as much of a difference - it seemed to be more useful in making am OK amp sound better, and the great amp didn't need the help. I'd probably want one again if I was using mid level solid state amplification (not to knock GK but that's what it is), but a good tube amp (or great solid/hybrid amp, my Genz Benz didn't need it either) doesn't need it.

4. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a BBE 362NR paired with a hi-fi head; a pre-Fender SWR Bass 350, which powers a Genz-Benz XB-series 4x10 (their top-of-the-line cab). The 362NR tightens the sound incredibly well, especially in the lows and low-mids, and the 3-series BBE Sonic Maximizer circuitry is generally more musical and less "processed" sounding than the current 4-series algorhythms.

What seals the deal for me is the "NR" in that particular unit: noise reduction. The Bass 350 has a fairly noisy front end, effects loop (SansAmp BDDI, Yamaha NE-1, Aphex compressor) notwithstanding. It kills the hiss to almost nothing, but doesn't sacrifice tone.

I'd not have a rack without a 362NR in it, period. It's as esssential as a power conditioner to me.