Head suggestions for new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gruvmunki, May 25, 2005.

1. Ok, I plan on buying an Avatar 4x10 and 1x15 cab and was wondering what head would be a good match for these as well as the style of music I play, which is mostly metal and rock, but sometimes jazz and such. Also I am on a limited budget, so the lower the price, the better.
    thx for the suggestions :bassist:
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout that Ashdown special deal head? If you have the cash and want to carry it, I'd definately recommend a Traynor YBA-200, 200 watts all tube and its plenty loud, about as loud as 800 watts SS. If not that, lots of people like the Kustom Groovebass. I don't like it much, but for the price its pretty good.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Gallien-Krueger is nice, and definately affordable (they have heads in $100 increments from $300 to $600). Solid transparent tone that will let you shape the tone any way you want - which doesn't necessarily mean with an amp's EQ section.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    +1 The new RB series is truly excellent -- a quantum leap past the older models. I have the 700RB-II, and it's fantastic. With 480 watts at 4 ohms, it should fit the bill.
  5. DOH NUT

Nov 13, 2004
    I'll third the GK thang. I have had an 800rb for years and its great. I just tried a brand new Backline 600, too. I expected alot less from one of their cheapest amps. In some ways I liked it even better than my 800. You can get those for only $299. :eek:
  6. Well seeing as you're going to be buying avatar cabs at different diameter speakers well have you thought about buying an amp which gives u the choice to bi-amp? The Hartke 5000 is a bi-amp that can work that way or you can just run it at mono. Also since Avatar allows u to choose the OHM of ur speakers u can choose them at 4 OHM each and run them together in the hartke for 250+250 watts or 500 mono watts. I was using that set up for my metal band a while back but since i bought an ampeg 8x10 i decided to change. But when I did use the set up it was super loud and I never turned up the volume past 4. But yeah the Hartke 5000 goes around 450 new but you can probably get a deal if you decided to get it used. I'm trying to sell my hartke because im trying to buy a car and if you're interested i can give u a deal just me know. but from my experience the hartke has been reliable and very loud.
  7. Thx for the suggestions guys, If I can find some, I will definitely try out some GK stuff. I'm not really into Hartke that much, but if I can find one of the 5000 heads i'll give it a shot.(by the way, happy b-day bro!)
  8. just a thought, would anyone recommend a power amp/ preamp setup as opposed to just a head. Little more money but a few more tone options i guess

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm one of many happy GrooveBass 1200 owners here on TB. This is an amazing head!!Mesa tone and looks (if you're into that sorta thing), solidly built, can be either very warm and tubey or dirty and grity. 800 watts into 4 ohms, and (get this) 1200 watts into 2 ohms. Wanna talk about headroom!!!! I play funk, jazz, blues, and gospel on a 5 string and this head handles 'em all!!

Now the good part...you can get one of these for between $500-$600.

here's the link: www.kustom.com
  10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1000 Couldn't have summed it up better...

11. +2000 :hyper:
  12. oh man, you know what's awesome? i ordered my groovebass on tuesday, forgetting it was 800 watts at 4 ohms! i thought it was 500 at 4, but it's 500 at 8...oh man, that's like finding it out for the first time again :hyper:
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In your price range, the GKs are a good recommendation.

I haven't played the Kustom yet, but several people are raving about them, and the price is certainly attractive.
  14. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Pre/Power is a more expensive route, which I inferred you didn't have the money for. A decent pre/power starts at $800 new (excluding the Sansamp RBI, so actually $500 if you count it); pre-amps start at about $500, and the QSC RMX850 is $300 I believe.

I think you'll be fine with just a head for now with a 4x10/1x15 setup, although you may not have all the headroom you'd like (this depends on what amp you buy).