Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I am going to be looking for a new head soon. I currently have a GK 1001RB and has served me well in the past. I like its tightness. I was also contemplating on getting the 2nd edition of the 1001rb because of its better built and more power. But I was just wondering what other options are out there in the $650-800 price range. I play mainly Salsa,R&B, hip-hop, funk, jazz. So I need something with lots of versitility and tightness and also sound good in the higher register. I play a warrick corvette out of a Berg 2x10. Any suggestions?

2. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anyone? I was checking out those EA iamp800. It looks good spec and feature wise. Its out of my price range but i think i can slang some crack and sell my body to get one.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Chingon,

If you like the GK (I actually bought a 400 when I was shopping around for heads, but returned within the first week), you might also like Ampeg SVT-Pro Series?? Anything lesser - the B-2 heads for example - are probably a little under powered for your liking... personally, I've settled in on a SWR-400. Again, that's in 'underpowered' range for what it sounds like you're looking for, and / or may be a bit on the too "fat sounding" head for you.

Nonetheless, perhaps both might be worth taking your bass to your favorite music store and trying through the same type cabinet you're currently working with on those gigs...

michael s.