1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

head throu active pa speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassist1234, May 7, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Hey I'm going to buy a geddy lee really soon, but I also need a louder amp and I dont want another combo. I already own a mackie active srm450 pa speaker, so could I buy a head and then DI it into the PA (and make it sound good)? This would be for practice for a while until I can afford a cab

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    why not just use the line out or whatever from your combo amp? That would be the cheapest. If you are going to buy a head, wait and save your money. That way you can buy the amp AND cab that sounds best.

3. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    I really need my rig to be portable and my combo is definitly more heavy then a head and cab. Plus the tone sucks lol.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Buy a new sansamp Bass driver di and use that as a preamp. It would be better for portability.

5. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    later, could I power amp it into a cab and still make it sound good?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Don't know whether you've considered it, but what about an Avalon U5? I used to use one to feed both a Mackie-based stage rig and the FOH. The thing about the Avalon is that is has both line level and mic level XLR outs, which allows for this double duty. I went for a good long while with the Avalon driving the FOH from the Mic out, and the Line out pushing one of two Mackie-based rigs... an SRM 450 / SRS1500 sub combo... or two SRM 450's as monitors right in front of my feet. Loud and luscious, all at the same time... just too much for all but the largest venues.