Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head to Cabinet Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenfingerdhob, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    Hey you guys...

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but ive been trying to do the math and for whatever reason i cant figure it out myself. I really like the Gallien-Krueger "x"rb-II heads and my goal is to run a 15' at 8 ohms and and 4' 10s at 8 ohms. Im curious if the Gk 400RB-II which is rated at:

Main Amp-480W@4ohm, 320W@8ohm, 1 kHz. -- Horn Amp-50W@8ohm, 5kHz

(off the gallien-krueger site) would be sufficent enough to run the 4 10s and 15 or if id need the more powerful model... the 1001RB-II which is rated at:

POWER <1% THD: Main Amp-700W@4ohm, 460W@8ohm, 1kHz -- Horn Amp-50W@8ohm, 5kHz

Thanks alot for all your help. And sorry if this is stupid but i swear ive been trying to figure it out all day by myself :confused: ... thanks alot.

2. What's the handling of the cabs?

With the 400RB you'd be putting 240 watts into each cab.
    With the 1001 you'd be putting 350 watts into each cab.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's been my experience that a 410 and a 1x15 sound better both run full range off of the main amp rather than biamping. 50 watts isn't all that much to drive a 4x10, and to be honest, they sound pretty anemic with just the high end in them, which is a waste seeing as most 4x10's produce just as much bass as a 1x15. I would use them both on the main channel with the biamp feature off to get the full rated power at 4 ohms. 480 watts should be plenty with a 4x10 and 1x15.

4. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    I havent decided on the cabs just yet... (recommendations appreciated...)

but id guess the 4x10 would be 400 watts handling... and the 15 would be 200 wats handling

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you went with those cabs you'll be fine. 240 watts into a cab rated for 200 isnt going to kill it.

of course i think there are better cabinets out there. ;)

6. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004

what would you reccomend? im open to anything... im just real paranoid about blowing things up :rollno:

7. Eden Cabs sound great with GK heads!

You might wanna check out the new GK neo's as well.

8. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The last few backlines I used were a GK 800 running an SWR 410.

I cant get my eden wt800/eden 410xl to sound half as good..... :crying:

So I guess I'm saying check out the GK into the SWR 41o :smug:

wax

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    You sure about that?... The 700rb-II is 480W at 4ohms, the 400rb is rated at 280W at 4ohms.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    For what you want to do, don't even consider the power of the tweeter amp. In the newer style biamped GK heads, the tweeter amp is only 50 watts with a fixed crossover frequency of 5 KHz. The 800RB has a 300 watt (at 4 ohms) amp and a 100 watt (at 8 ohms) amp and a variable crossover frequency.

I recently read a post by Brian Rost where he mentioned that in his experience, it takes a power increase of 4X to make a significant volume change (with the same cabinets). This has really made me rethink my amp needs...

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    FWIW, I can tell quite a difference between my 700rb and 1001rb, although they are essentially the same amps putting out different amounts of power.

The 1001rb may not be much LOUDER, but there's definitely something to be said for having more juice to keep things clean and tight when you really want to open things up full throttle.

And I also ignore the biamp capabilities. No tweeters, no need.