Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head to Head: Lakland 55-94 Deluxe vs. F-Bass BN5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Feb 13, 2003.

Lakland 55-94 Deluxe vs. FBass BN5

Poll closed Oct 21, 2003.
  1. Lakland 55-94 Deluxe

21 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. FBass BN5

42 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Toss up!!

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Got to know if the "step up" to an FBass is worth it. I know where some of you stand on this, but I am curious to see if the Lakland holds its own.;)

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hmmmmfff!!!!
    thats the sound of me holding my hand over my mouth to keep from commenting on this one!;)

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    You can weigh in later, if anyone cares to comment.
    ;)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. hmm, tough one...

I've never played a Lakland, so I can't really offer much in the way of good advice here. I can say that my BN5 is completely amazing in every way.

All in all, I think you're going to get the "they're both awesome, but different" line more than a few times in this thread. :D

6. I liked both. My F-Bass was a little too "unconventional" looking for me. I still have a 55-63.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I had a 55-94 Limited, I have a Skyline 55-02 natural finish, standard body (no upgraded top, plain Ash body). Also an F Bass Studio 5 and BN5.

Comparing the 55-02 to the F Bass Studio (Ash body) is a toss-up. The Studio nails the 70's Jazz sound, the Skyline nails the Musicman sound when the bridge pickup is soloed. Not close, it nails it. Playability is great on both basses. Both are set up with very low action and are effortless to play.

I wouldn't want to do without either of them.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'd say F, and I'll vouch for my buddy Adrian that he would say the same thing. ;) Edit: I think.

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well, I have a 55-94 and fretted/fretless 4-94's. I've played a friend's F Bass and did not like it as much as some other basses like my Lakland 55-94, Modulus Q5, Pedulla MVP and various Ken Smith 5's.

What color of Lifesavers do you like? My favorite is green.;)

Chuck

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I voted F. I love Laklands, but a friend of mine has an F that i'm in love with. I will own one someday... not soon, but someday. A fretless perhaps?

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I sold my 55-94 Deluxe in order to buy my BN5. but don't get me wrong, the 55-94 is a great bass.

I can't comment on the Seymour Duncan (SD) equipped Laklands, I've never played one. My former Lakland had Barts, quilted maple body top over ash, and an all maple neck. This bass was an excellent bass; AAA quilted top, very easy to play, workmanship was perfect. The tone was just not what I was looking for, as far as my style of playing goes. I tried every configuration of tapping the coils to no avail. It had maybe a slight hint of a old style vintage Jazz bass tone, but not quite. With the bridge pick up soloed, it sort of sounded like a Musicman, but with slightly less lows and highs. Too sum it up, it had a slight hint of a vintage Jazz vibe, but the Marcus Miller tone was nowhere to be found; and it also had a pseudo-Musicman tone, but not real close. I don't think that Dan set out to make a bass that sounded exactly like a Jazz or Musicman, maybe he was going for a blend or something with it's own sound. I think tone-seeking is a matter of personal taste. A bass that I don't care for --- may end up being some one elses ideal bass. I must stress that my Lakland had excellent workmanship and was one of the best playing basses I've ever owned. As a side note, I hear that the SD equipped Laklands get much closer to the Musicman tone.

My fretted ash body maple neck F Bass does two things for me, it will nail the Marcus tone and also the slightly more Hi-Fi Alain Caron tone as well (no, I can't play like either of these guys ;>). I prefer the F's tone over my Lakland. Fs have a very distinctive tone, and they're pretty consistent. You can not get a Musicman tone out of an F. Although I never use the Jaco tone, the F can definitely do the Jaco thing very well. Do a search of this forum on BN5s and you'll see that the vast majority of posts all say the same thing about the bass's tone. Best wishes to you on your quest.

By the way Rickreyn, my 55-94 looked just like yours but with a cherry sunburst finish. and Hey, nice website!

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Thank you, thank you. Shameless self promotion.:)

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks! That's something that I never understood, players saying that they can nail the MM tone with their Bart equipped Lakland. I had a MM and I replaced the pickup with a Bart MM pickup--it drastically changed the sound. So how can the same pickup in another bass get you back to the real MM sound. The SD Alnico pickup was very close to the stock MM pickup sound. If I should come across a Lakland with SD Alnico pickups…;)

14. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have some recent experience auditioning both of these.Both are terrific basses but I'd give the nod to F Bass.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Maybe it's magic, JR... it can do it.

All I know is that my Skyline 55-02 sounds so much like a MM it's not funny. I had a buddy over last week, told him how to set the bass, had him play it and then asked him what he heard. He heard the same thing I did.

Ever heard Louis Johnson on a Musicman? It absolutely nailed that sound. Mine is a plain jane Ash bass. Great setup, great sound.

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just bought this Lakland 4-94 to replace my MM. It's very nice and gets sounds "like" the Ray if I play with the EQ enough. The resulting sound is "like" the Ray in frequency and clarity but not in the way it feels. As Bass Player Mag put it, "The Lakland doesn't have the slice of a Ray".

And...in a conversation with the crew in the Lakland shop, they even said that that's why the offer the SD option...to get the more aggressive tones.

Plain Jane ash:
    [​IMG]

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I didn't play with my EQ, I left it flat. I'm running it through an H&K Bassbase 600 into EA VL-110s. Don't know what kind of strings are on it. Don't know what Bass Player tested. Maybe they didn't solo the bridge pickup.

I just know what I heard. Mine most certainly does slice. Boost the treble and it slices even more.

BTW what does this mean: "The resulting sound is "like" the Ray in frequency and clarity but not in the way it feels".

How does the sound feel?:)

Edit: the mid switch is on the lowest setting (250hz IIRC)

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    And...in a conversation with the crew in the Lakland shop, they even said that that's why the offer the SD option...to get the more aggressive tones.
    [​IMG]