Head Trauma

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Marc Neihof, Mar 16, 2002.

1. I've been doing a casual survey on how many musicians were droped on there head as a child. I fell out of a moving vehicle as child , little did I know it would effect my career choice. If there are enough people with this problem maybe we could get some federal disaster aid or at least a month, Childhood Head Trauma Musical Disorder Month.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    SES: Scrambled Egg Syndrome.

You're never going to get any public support unless you have a catchy name for the condition.
  3. oklarain

Feb 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    When I was three, we were out of Orange Juice, and my older sister thought waking up Mom & Dad at 6am on a Saturday to inform them was a bad idea.

She decided to passify me with some of my father's beer. As I struggled to open up the 3rd beer I tumbled backwards down the stairs into the basement (concrete floor).

My parents found me laying on my back, blood draining from my head, laughing maddly.

There wasn't much beer in the house after that Saturday morning.
  4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    when i was 2 or 3 my grandpa was dragging me out of the house and i fell of a 6 foot porch broke my arm and suffered a very severe concusion while my arm was healing my cousin taught me to dance and to bassically study music even though i couldnt play an instrument i think thats when i got the bug
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have a scar on my brain.
    I found out about that when I was 15, I got some kind of a convulsion, and they found the scar. It´s kinda weird. I got cerebral hemorrhage before I was born and the doctors said that the scar was a result of it. I think.

But the bright side of this story is, that when I got the convulsion I bought a new bass.:)
  6. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    When i was 6 i rugby tackled a piano (by accident) and cracked my head open!! Didn't really hurt...........made a bit of a mess :rolleyes:

After that i guess i was destined to be a "muso" :D

7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, I fell down the stairs when I was 1 or 2 and broke my nose... or so they tell me.

I was a hockey goalie for 5 years, and probably took my share of pucks to the head.

A couple of years ago I smacked my head on a concrete wall and got a concussion. About then was when my forays into experimental freeform "music" began. :p Connection?
  8. they say I bounced and rolled more than I skidded.

Who ever said great bass players are born, not made ? This thread provides ample evidence to the contrary.
  9. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    okay so I wasn't dropped (atleast not to my knowledge;) ) but I was hit in the head with an aluminum base ball bat while playing when I was maybe 4 years old and have had lots of fun in soccer with hitting the ball off my head- actually the soccer might help explain a musical friend of mine too...
  10. bassman02004

Feb 20, 2002
    I was hit by a KaR wHen I was in 7th GrAde.:p
  11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    When I was about seven my brother dropped a small boulder on my head from a bridge above as I tried to catch crayfish in a stream. Mom says I was quite a sight with blood streaming down in every direction. Best thing was hearing bro get his ass kicked by Pop...
  12. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Put your hands in the air then rub you rump
    cause voodoo magick will give this thread a BUMP!!
  13. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    I also tumbled from a car going 30mph. Dont ask why but I got this strange idea of stopping the car with my feet. O and despite my massive headache, I never laughed harded.
  14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    When I was a young child, I attempted to walk the entire length of the top rail of our backyard picket fence. Lost by balance and got my pants cuff caught on a picket. Landed on my head in the concrete alley. Ouch.

Jim Dombrowski
  15. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Two things: When I was about eight I opened up my skull running *almost* under an opened casement window. Took quite a few stitches. And when I was 10, I was in an auto accident that required a few dozen more. And come to think of it, it was shortly after that that I took up percussion....
  16. Walkabout711

Sep 30, 2002
    Yeah i fell out of a third strie building
  17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How many a strie's did that building have? Will you ever get your punctuation back?
  18. When I was five, I cracked my face on our coffee table...

And a couple of years ago, I cracked my head open by getting slammed in the head with a wire fence.
  19. The only time I really hit my head was after I started playing bass... and that was during rugby in gym class... I think I may have had a minor concussion, and after that I decided to stick with bass and say to hell with sports. Of course, when I was like 12 or 13, me and my friends would play street hockey on the pavement, and wouldn't hesitate to lay each other out... not to mention my share of frozen tennis ball shots to the forehead.

And of course there was the hockey at the outdoor rink... but I didn't wear skates... I just wore my shoes:D ... that was a painful day.... and the people we were playing were saying they had scored more goals than my team did... and we still won.:eek:
  20. I kind of took music for granted for awhile, but then I fell off my horse on my head. We were jumping. He started to fall over on the other side of the jump, so naturally I fell off. Not only did I land on my head, but he also kicked me with his hoof on my head as he was struggling to get up. I'm ok, but during the year this happened to me, I decided I wanted to become a professional bass player. Funny how that works lol. :)