Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Vs. Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Aug 14, 2004.

1. What do you guys think of the Hartke 3000 or GK 400RB-IV? The Hartke is cheaper and offers more wattage, so it seems to make more sense, but I'm debating. Which one would produce better sound and power?

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sound = GK>Hartke IMO
    Power = Hartke>GK on paper.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would go with the gk but
    i would save your $$$$ or go used - get more bang for your buck

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ive read that the hartke 3500 is a very good head id save up and get that rather than the 3000. But then again gk is up there as well. Me personaly i like the sound of hartke so id go with them but if you're going to be getting cabs from em make sure you get either the xl series or pro series. just my 0.02$

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Play both and let your ears decide. The Hartke has a very 'cheap' sound IMO and I'm not a huge fan. The GK is quite transparent and I love them!

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I luuuve GK heads.
    Don't care much for Hartke.

7. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I'd save some money and buy ashdown. Their mag line is incredible for the money. I';ve found that you can approximate svt sound by lowering the lows and boosting mids. FWIW, I cant stand the Hartke tone and GK's sound great if you're into that Hi-Fi sound.