Head vs Power + Pre amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quatre03, Jan 25, 2005.

1. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm trying to decide on either getting a head or getting a preamp and a power amp combonation. Basicaly i've broken it down to either getting a used(possibly new i really havent sat down and figured out my financial situation) Aguilar DB 750, or getting a Read tube preamp and some power amp i've looked at stewartwolds, and crown.

These are the amps i'd run on it:

Bergantino NV425 specifications:
    • power handling - 750 watts rms
    • impedance: 4 ohms

• 1000 watts rms
      4 ohms
  2. I'd say the upside to heads are the simplicity, but rackmount setups are more versatile seeing how you can add wattage, switch out preamps, etc. But not all companies whose tones you like offer preamps.

Both the Aggie and the Read both get rave reviews, but I don't have experience with either.
  3. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    i'm just concerned that power amps would over power the bergantino, while the heads would under power it.
  4. I'd get a poweramp with the wattage (at the wattage you'd be running it at) a little bit over the cabs rating, for headroom purposes.

Someone else chime in with me!
  5. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    i've been told that over powering the cab consistanly will blow the cab
  6. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    nvrmnd i've decided i'm going with a stewart world 2.1 and a schroder 3101212

problem solved
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes, but the key word is *consistently*. Additional headroom allows transients to remain clean rather than clipped, which preserves tone and dynamics. A speaker cabinet rated at 750 watts RMS can handle transients of greater wattage.

Anyway, I think you're on the way to a fantastic rig. Let us know which preamp you get. I love my Read Purity; haven't tried the Aggie.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another pleased Purity owner present!:D

If you overpower your cab, you could be asking for trouble. Consider this, though:

Specifications for the Stewart World 2.1 are

400W x 2 @ 8 Ohms
    650W x 2 @ 4 Ohms
    1350W x 1 @ 8 Ohms
    2100W x 1 @ 4 Ohms

What is the cab rated for? How many ohms is it? And, would you be sending *all* of the amp's power to the cab?