Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi all!!
    I currently have a Hartke 2000 Head and Im beggining to upgrade my rig, so here is what im gonna do.
    Currently I own a STV410HE,and I will be buying a SVT115-E next week, so I was thinking to upgrade my Head too.

My 2 options are:
    1)Buy an Ampeg SVT-III PRO , 450 Watts and great sound. Sell the Hartke BEFORE buying the head.

2)Buy an Ampeg SVP-PRO (More tonal capabilities.. [MORE TUBES!!!] and patch it trough the Hartke, until I get some money to buy a CARVIN DCM1000 (That´s 1000 WATTS!!) and then sell the Hartke head.

I am an Ampeg Dealer and also a Sole Distributor for Carvin (Where I live of course.. ECUADOR) so the prices are almost the same for me.

Please help me decide!!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mmmmm ... why the Carvin power amp? Mackie? QSC? Just curious.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Damping Factor is high ( >400) that translates into tight bass. Great THD specs.
    But the factor that made me take that decision is that I can buy it at Export Dealer price.. ( I would have to kill you If i tell you the price, the same rule applies to Ampeg, wich I buy at export prices too)

I have dealer prices on Mackie too, but I havent checked out the specs of any model yet.
  4. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I personally like just having to carry just a head. I was torn between getting a Navigator and WT-1000, or just a WT-800. I love the Eden EQ, and the extra features of the preamp were nice, but I also considered size and weight. I'm saving two rack spaces, there's surprisingly little power differences if you're only running one cab, I'm also lugging 14 less pounds. Which in the grand scheme of things isn't that much, but still. Of course I also did some math where if I got 2 WT-800s I'd get more wattage in the same space as the Navigator/WT-1000 combination. Also I got a hell of a deal on my WT-800 used, so that sealed the deal.

So my vote is to get the head.
  5. No! Don't do this!

Seriously, I own a Hartke HA5000 that I run through Ampeg SVT15E and SVT210HE. A few months ago, I decided that I didn't like my sound and purchased a SVT-III PRO. I could not believe the drop in volume. I had the amp cranked at practice and could barely hear myself. The Hartke produces higher volumes levels with the master knob on 3.

I realize that we have different model heads and that mine is a little more powerful, but you will probably experience a similar situation.

Not to knock the Ampeg too bad - it sounded great at home. It just could not perform well in a band situation. YMMV.

If you do choose to explore this route, I would caution you about selling the Hartke first. Try them out side by side in a real-world situation to see what you like better.

That, and I had to crank the midrange all the way up to make it sound right.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Hartke 5000 is a 250Watts per channel amp, it is stereo and Biampable. My Uncle had one of those a while ago and did sound good, until he replaced that with a power amp and a SWR Interestellar overdrive.

Now he has a SVP-PRO preamp and a Fafner amp trough a custom cabinet 2x12" that he made.. (He also has a Goliath SR.)
    The Hartke 2000 is another story, it is mono and very low powered.
    I play a 6 String bass , so i need more headroom.

About the SVT-III Pro... you could be right. I have never heard it, and I could be wrong. But I wanted a FULL Ampeg rig.
    Today, I was talking to a customer, and he wanted to buy the Hartke and the SV410HE (It is the 200 Watt RMS model), so that Means Im definetly going to buy the SVT-15E and the new STV410HE (It is rated at 400Watts) , so I just have to decide on the SVR-PRO+Carvin DCM1000 vs SVT-III PRO, and Im really leaning to the SVP-PRO.
    1000 Watts are 1000 Watts!! And I have heard great things about the Carvin.

7. I think I'd get the SVP-Pro preamp if I was in your position. In the long run it will be way more flexible. You can always match it to a power amp that precisely meets your needs. I think I'd go with either the Ampeg 410 HLF cab or the 8X10 cab instead of a 1X15 and the 410HE. The HLF is a decent cab that has pretty good low end and can handle a lot of power (1000 watts program, I believe). My first choice would definitely be the 8X10 cab IF you can transport it.
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    8x10 is not the sound Im looking for, I need more low end for my 6 Stringer. Second.. the 410HLF would be great, but since is rated at 4ohms wIt would not be so flexible, Instead I would get a 6x10 SWR.. wich is about the same size.

9. I'm not sure I follow you regarding the 410 HLF not being flexible. I think it would give you a better low frequency response than the Ampeg single 15. As far as the SWR cab, I thought you were trying to keep your rig all Ampeg gear.
  10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes.. You are right into sticking to Ampeg, I was just comparing sizes..
    And I really think that a 15" + 410HE is gonna give me more lows than the 410HE alone.
  11. I agree with that, but I was talking about the 410 HLF which is tuned differently than the 410 HE. Just for info, I saw that Ampeg was coming out with a 6X10 cab.
  12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I meant the 410HLF , (writting error).
    I havent been informed yet about the SVT610HE
  13. I saw an ad for it in the new Bass Player magazine.

I think the 410 HLF has a lower frequency range than the 15" but I could be wrong. The specs are at ampeg's web site.
  14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    IT is called the SVT610HLF , but the frequency response sucks.

Also the 1x15" frequency response goes lower than the SVT410HLF at -3dB but they are the same at -10dB (28Hz)
    Actually I have found that Ampeg is very unconsistent to their specs. The Web page says one thing and the PDF says another..
    Then the Manual says another.
    I will just use common sense.. 2 Ported Cabinets without internal baffles. 4 Tens vs 1x 15"... I definetly think the 15" will produce more Warm lows.
  15. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Speaking of Damping Factor,my Crown Power Base 3 has a Damping Factor of over 1000 according to the owner's manual.
  16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    yeah!! The Crown is one of the highest!!
    That translates into tighter bass, your should be punchy as hell!!
  17. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have to go along with that. I have the Power Base 2&3 in my rack. The PB 3 really drives the 18's superbly.
  18. <html>I could get a <bold>ADA MB1 preamp</bold> with the <bold>B500B poweramp</bold> and the <bold>M-C1 foot controller</bold>. It has 79 factory presets,256 user programs,programmable compressor and 5 band programmable semi-parametric EQ. The power-amp is bi-ampable and can be operate at full range mono. This amp was used by Victor Wooten and Les Claypool.

I could get this setup (it's 7 years old by the way) for $400 or a GK 800RB for about $60 more, which should I get?
  19. Hmmmm whoa doggy! Can you use a guitar pre-amp for bass? I think you can becuase Les Claypool uses an ADA MP-2. But why? Is it safe and all that?

Also, can you use a preamp for a headphone amp?

Someone please bestow their infinite knowledge on me.

[Edited by ThePaste on 02-04-2001 at 05:37 PM]