Head w/ or w/o compression?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BenJammin716, May 13, 2005.

1. BenJammin716

May 13, 2005
    I'm a longtime player but a newbie to actually knowing what kind of amp I play through, much to my embarrassment :) I've heard it's a big deal to have compression onboard with your amp head - is it really essential? I was checking out the Ashdown Mag 300R which seems like a sweet head for a good price, but its only shortcoming is no compression. Any suggestions? Just want to get a head and cab for around 7 or less, if it can be done. Thanks a lot, everyone.

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Do a search on "compressor". Subject has been debated extensively. Many players including myself manage quite well without one. ;)
  3. Compression is a matter of taste and certainly not an essential item in a bass rig. I think of it as an effect like any other, can be useful but not needed.
  4. If you've been playing w/o a compressor for years, it's hard to imagine that suddenly you need one.

Having said that, you should go to a good shop and try out one with and one without. Find a salesperson there that knows what they are for and how they are used, and you can make up your own mind.

Besides, you could always buy the Ashdown, and buy an outboard compressor later. All of the decent multi-effects boxes have them now.

Id like to be a jellyfish
    'cause jellyfish don't pay rent
    They don't walk, and they don't talk
    With some Euro-trash accent
    - Jimmy Buffet ' Mental Floss'
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I feel compression borders on essential, at least for me. However there are plenty of outboard compressors that are far, far more felxible adn better sounding than any onboard unit, so its not a make or break thing.