Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head wattage to cab wattage question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Mesa 400+ that i've always used into a 4x10 (8ohm) cab rated at 600 watts with an additional 1x15 (8ohm) rated at 400 watts. If I used the 400+ with just the 15 would I likely blow that cab if I "cranked" the volume or played for an extended amount of time though it?

Thanks for the advice in advance. I just might be in a place soon where I only own one cab without a backup :eek: . Better safe than sorry, ya know?

2. I had to read the title several times...

I could have sworn it had something to do with a Head of Cabbage...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You should be fine with either one cab, but why not keep the 4x10.

4. But why not the 1x15? I prefer the 15 to 10s most any day of the week.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Plain curiosity.

6. So you could have chosen either one and been fine with it?

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well both cabs being the older Mesa Road Ready models with the EV's they weigh a ton. The 15 almost sounds like a 4x10 to me but with a little lower midrange rubbery sound. I think of the two I like the 15 better. Also doesn't hurt that it weighs almost half what the 4x10 does. Their the best sounding type of cabs I've ever come across but the 4x10 weighs in at about 130 lbs. :eek: and the 1x15 is only slightly better at around 70 lbs. In the 2 years I've been in Seattle I've taken the 4x10 out of the house and fired it up mabye twice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming the 15 since the 15 accompanies me everywhere :cool: .

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :D I can hear (see?) that....

9. My personal opinion, find which cabinet suits you best, whether it be volume (4x10 has more speaker area- so it'll be louder), tone (your call) or weight (the 1x15 will generally be lighter).

Me, I'd go for the 15.

10. You will be just fine running either cab (or both) with the Mesa. I built a little 1x8 cab for practice that is rated at 150 watts, and I've used a few amps with 300-350 watts and it's just fine. Lots of guys are buying an *insert favorite brand here* cab and running two times it's rated power and it takes it in stride. It's because you aren't running the amp at full rated power continuously - you're probably using only a fraction of it on average. If you play really loud and are clipping the amp all the time then maybe you should worry.

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You can usually get away with up to and over twice the head wattage. Remember, cabs are usually consertatively rated, and it's always better to have some headroom. My Acme Low B-2 is rated at 350 watts and I run 700 watts of power into it, clipping occasionally; it handles it with ease.