headaches whilst singing

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jun 9, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    The singer in our band tends to get headaches when he sings. I know for a fact that his vocal technique is very poor and have no doubt this is causing it.

I can see the straining in his throat when he sings high pitched notes. As well as that he tends to lose his voice when we do extended amounts of gigging.

Last weekend we had four gigs, one friday one saturday and two on sunday (going to a pub play a two hour set take everything down rush to the next pub an hour and a half away set everything up and do it all over again...its actually great fun and i enjoyed it) by the second he had head aches (if not the first) by the third his voice was raspey and had head aches and by the fourth he could bearley sing and I don't know what the headache status was by then.

He says that when he sings its ok but when he stops the headaches kick in. Apparently they are very intense. I don't think that they last too long though.

I'm just waiting for him to pass out in the middle of a gig. The thing is, is that he is a real trooper which is a quality to be admired he won't let anything stop him. However this stubbornness is probably not helping either.

He tried one or two vocal lessons with some lady that does them in our town. However I don't think that he likes her on a personal level and as well as that he probably can't see the purpose of doing all the weird and embarrassing ohhing and ahhing and moaning and groaning and face pulling that vocal lessons consist of (that said I've never taken any vocal lessons so im not 100% on what happens at them) If your lying on the floor breathing or something there doesn't seem to be much connection between that and singing in a band whereas when you learn bass or whatever you could probably play a bit of a song in half an hour, a much more tangable result(although personally im not denying the advantages of doing all this crazy stuff its just what I imagine hes thinking). Plus vocal lessons are expensive and I don't know of anyone else in the area that does them either.

Anyways has anyone else out there experienced something similar? Does anyone know if whats happening is dangerous? Does anyone have any remedies for the situation? (apart from a box of paracetamol obviously)

Also apologies for writing an epic tale on our singer, just watned to give some background
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    He tends to give me headaches too. :p ;)
  3. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Cassanova, that's hilarious. Maybe he sings tenor (ten-or-twelve miles away). Bu-doom.

Anyway, seriously now, if he thinks it's embarassing to work on his breathing technique, then he's not going to stop the headaches - they will keep coming. The reason is that he's straining his neck muscles, and just like working out wrong, he's straining them. These are (most likely) the root problem of his headaches, just as if he was working out wrong.

Does he think we make really cool faces when we're bench pressing in order to make our chests hard for the ladies? How about ab workouts when that involuntary flatulance fires off? Workouts aren't pretty, but they're a necessary evil.

And if it's too much for him, start finding someone else.
  4. Hmmm, I wonder if he can whistle.....

Because he clearly can't sing :D
  5. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Actually I think he's a good singer its just that when he needs to go that extra mile he takes complelety the wrong approach.

Plus I've never met a guy who can come up with original vocal lines and lyrics right there on the spot when there's a bit of jamming going on with the band. Also he's one hell of a buisness man so he's pretty much an asset to the band

I suppose a comparison to working out incorrectly is a good anallogy of whats happening.

Ah well it's not my problem. All i can do is try coax him in the right direction (i.e. learning how to do things right)
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Read the bassists guide to singing, and you'll find cool stuff that Big Joe posted regarding protecting your voice.

The headaches are either caused by strained muscles in his neck, or it could be a lack of oxygen from not breathing properly.