1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headbanging, feeling in the back of head?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    When you headbang, is it normal that you get a feeling in the back of the head, not really a pain,b ut like almost when you get a headache or something, hard to describe:/ Anyone knows? is it dangerous lol?

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's most likely due to the forces being placed on your brain, fairly similiar to a boxer getting punched :)

My biggest problem at metal gigs (other than only being 61kgs, and front and centre in the pit) is screaming myself hoarse... it took me two weeks to fully recover the last time I saw Opeth!

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So its nothing to worry about?

4. yea i wouldn't worry about self-inflicted injuries... especially in a moshpit ;)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its from your brain hitting the inside of your skull and is probably not healthy. Pain is your body's way of saying something is wrong.

What I want to know is when being healthy became metal.

6. Can you post a video, so we can better diagnose the problem??

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    medical abstract 1
    "Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings in a mentally retarded adult female who exhibits headbanging behavior are presented. Radiographic changes include enlargement of the diploic space in the parietal and occipital bones, and gray matter loss adjacent to the bony changes. This pattern of injury is compared with skull changes previously reported in headbangers, and neuronal injury seen in boxers (dementia pugilistica) and Minimata disease."

medical abstract 2
    "Headbanging is a rhythmic movement disorder (RMD) along with headrolling, bodyrocking and bodyrolling. The average onset is 9 months, and by 10 years of age the majority of subjects no longer complain of headbanging. If it continues, it is usually associated with mental retardation or autism."

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    if you headbang for a little. then take a break you wont get that feeling. but if you full out headbang for like 5 minutes, you are going to get a headache.

you might loose some braincells, its ok you got alot of them ;)

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The pain ought to give you a clue. If I were you, I would consider easing up on the head-banging a little.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i saw an article in guitar world that had stretches you can so you dont get whiplash and stuff like that.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Yeah, keep banging your head into retardation. Smart move.

Metalheads . . . :rollno:

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Its not a pain, as i said its hard to describe, but maybe its better headbanging with the whole upper boy and not just the head, so that you dont just shake the head. But damn, ima take it easy on the banging, no f***** way that im gonna become retarded=P Besides, ive never been headbanging much, ive maybe banged my head 30times my whole life=P if not less^^

13. I get pretty bad headaches all throughout my head especially at the base of my skull when I scream vocals for my crust punk or grindcore/noise bands. I think it's lack of oxygen or something, but it really screws up my day after only 15-30 minutes.

14. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Don't worry. It only kills the weak brain cells.

15. If you start talking like Ozzy, it's already too late...

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Put your body into it, not just your neck. Hurts less.

17. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Give the metal a rest and go dancing to some beats, you can actually talk to people too, which is usually pretty fun.

18. Man I almost choked on my beverage when I read that.
    Ok my beverage is tea. What can I say, I'm an aging punk rocker.
    If you are hurting yourself headbanging when playuing bass I am impressed. The best I could ever manage was the dread wheel. whrer you whip your dreads around in time to the music so it looks like a wheel if... you... just... blur... your... eyes.
    Take it easy and stomp your feet or something.

19. Muscular pain in the neck (from exercising muscles you don't exercise that much) is normal, any other kind of pain is bad IME.

20. e-kill

e-kill

Apr 24, 2001
    Sweden / Stockholm
    Dunno if its due to the fact that i've trained judo before or something, but i only get a bit dizzy after about 20 minutes of constant headbanging, and might get a soar neck the day after. But what you really should do is to let the momentum of your head to be clean, for instance, dont go straight up, straight down with a twitch at the bottom and the top, i headbang "helicopter style" which eases the stress on the head itself, though puts alot of power thru your neckarea. If your gonna go straight up and down, i'd recommend to use the entire upperbody and instead of just using the neck and above, use very little of the neck and above and let the waste and back do the banging instead, that way there is no specific part of the body that endures maximum amount of stress.