Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headbanging & playing the bass.. at the same time!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rippin' Robin, Jun 2, 2001.

1. tell you one thing.. it's tricky!

2. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

ya, I can't seem to play if I move around alot. I have trouble doing "the bass player head bob" sometimes even.

3. you know what's really tricky? to rock a rhyme. to rock a rhyme that's right on time, it's tricky. it's tricky, tricky, tricky, tricky.

4. I get a headache! Must be middle-age!

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Cliff Burton = Headbanging Bass Playing GOD!

i once practiced in my bedroom with some Deftones stuff and got carried away... at the end it was like... "cool! no pain"... the next morning my back and neck hurt like hell!

i was like that for 3 days :)

6. I know that stage.. once you get used to it it's no big deal. it's all about technique! :)

7. It's all about experience. I do it every show we play and never have any problems. The neck pain the next day however is always there. Stretching helps, but it never completely stops it.

8. its hard to do much if your playing a tough riff and you haven't got it so memorized you could do it with your eyes closed being kicked in the balls, but... if you play easier music during the headbanging parts or just practise like a sonofabitch you should have no problem at all. or just stand there and look like a jackass. whatever works for you.

9. Its not that hard really. Plus i do neck stretches before and after. One thing which i had to practice at was jumping and playing, my band sorta of eliminated the "jump style" riffs so its hard core head banging.

I agree it makes it harder with short hair, thats why i am growing mine out again. You can still head bang and keep an eye on your fretboard.. I know i do.

Merls

10. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Cliff Burton's neck muscles must have been the size of tree trunk!

11. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    As usual, people always say, practice makes perfect. I generally try to go by the philosophy of practice makes permanent, cause if you practice wrong, it won't make you perfect, but it will make you permanently wrong. So, the more you practice, the better you will become. Therefore, the more practice you get in with your band (I'm not talking about practicing by yourself here) the more you will be able to just put yourself on autopilot when you play.

So no, I have no problems head banging when the mood strikes me, I only have a problem stopping, once I get into it, it is like my body doesn't want to stop. I love being able to walk around on stage, look at the audience, and even dance a little when I feel like it, cause I am no longer playing my instrument, my hands are, so I can do whatever my mind fancies.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

All that "headbanging" adds up in trouble for your neck later on when you are in your forties and older. Your neck isn't really meant for that kind of activity, especially the one where long haired types would twirl their locks in a circular fashion like Sepultura used to and other death metal bands.

I had to give that stuff up because my neck would ache for days afterward. The head twirling made me dizzy, too. I just couldn't do that. When one thinks about it, headbanging really doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. I mean what does it symbolize and what does it accomplish, from the musicians' standpoint? Does it look "cool'? If so, why? I mean think about it. Why on Earth would it be cool?

13. I used to bang my head at concerts, to the point of really bad neck pain. This was before I ever picked up the bass. Now, I have long hair so it's way easier to headbang, but I never do it on-stage because I still look at the neck (of my bass!) a lot and with hair in my face, I can't see. Plus, my wife will leave me if she ever sees me headbanging. She thinks it's the most ultra-cheesy, 80's throwback move ever.

14. All that "headbanging" adds up in trouble for your neck later on when you are in your forties and older.
    -How do you know? No one 'banger has reached that age quite yet.

Your neck isn't really meant for that kind of activity, especially the one where long haired types would twirl their locks in a circular fashion like Sepultura used to and other death metal bands.

Actually that is less damaging than banging the head up and down, which is more like the sort of motion that gives you whiplash.

Then again, if your neck aches for days afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

15. Ummm...
    I take it you're not familiar with the esteemed JasonOldsted's age et al?

16. Nope, and his profile doesn't say anything about his age. Nor have I ever heard about 'old' bangers (no offence, JOldsted) having chronic neck problems due to banging.

17. I'll...ummm...let JO speak up on it.

18. that's probably cuz jason oldsted is a female. i know, i know, it's all very confusing... ;)

19. Jeez, this is getting sticky.

But then again, I've never seen a woman headbanging properly.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if i headbanged, i would hit my bass with my chin.

needless to say, i don't.

:D

jason