1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headcount of those with a pedal-type preamp driving a poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, May 7, 2005.

1. Hey, I just bought a Stewart Audio PR-500, and since I don't have a preamp yet, I've been using various guitar pedals to drive the PA.

Any do this with success? I've had thoughts of just buying a SABDDI and driving the amp with that (to save $100 bucks and some weight, plus money on the rack), until I heard it can't drive a poweramp too well even with the line switch.

Thanks.

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The line switch was designed by Tech21 to aid the Sansamp in driving a poweramp. 20dB should be sufficient (in "off," the Sansamp cuts the signal by 20dB [making the signal -20dB], however it is flat when activated [+/- 0dB]) to drive a poweramp.

3. Mine is fine on either of the line switch settings, but i think i have the newer version that is boosted, so you can get sufficient volume using just the level control

Sofar ive used it to drive the power amp section of the peavey firebass, it was ok i spose, but not as good as going through the peaveys own preamp i thought, sounds great into an SVT II :p , not tried it just into the power amp of that yet tho

4. I did this successfully for about 2 years, first with the Aguilar db924 and then the Sansamp ADI. I used a rackmount equalizer between them and my power amp to boost the signal. Worked just fine.

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I used to run a MXR M-80 bass Di pedal into my poweramp, but I needed more level from it so I ended up getting a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal.. then I said stuff it I don't want to worry about batteries and patchleads dieing and I purchased a Sansamp RBI rackmount pre.. Glad I did. It drived the poweramp much better and is just a neater setup.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hey lady -

You know my experience. I have used the BDDI with mixed reults. Even with the "line" switch, I still think you need one more preamp stage to drive an amp/cab successfully. Going to the board is fine though.