1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headed to Boston

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D.M.N., Sep 26, 2010.

1. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello off-topic!

So I'm headed to the east coast for some college visits, and will be in Boston for a few days, so I'm wondering what are some good places to visit? I'm not talking tourist stuff, I mean stores and restaurants and stuff. Especially good vintage music stores!
    I've searched for other threads on Boston, and they seem to devolve into "Don't go to Daddy'!" So no more of that please!

So, what are your favorite Boston places?

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    You could go to the quayside and throw some tea into the sea?

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quincy Mahket down South Station way (it's a little touristy, but it's a great place to hang and people watch and grab good grub and see some history.. Newbury St. shopping, 8 blocks of shopping and eats, pick up a pair of Fluevogs and a cool hat... Middle Eat Cafe in Cambridge (off Mass Ave) for awesome eats and a good chill vibe. The dive 20 minutes North and hit Salem for a GREAT hang, especially this time of year, GREAT shopping too. Always stuff goin on there.

4. And whatever you do, don't go sporting a New York Yankees baseball cap! :eek::scowl:

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    For food the North End is great. Boston common is always great. There isn't really much cool stuff for music stores here though. What schools are you checking out?

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1 to the Middle East and North End food.

Cambridge generally is a very tourist-friendly spot.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Red Barn Coffee Roasters in Quincy Market is very good. If you are a coffee snob like my wife and I, it was the best we found in the area.

We get a pound of the Sumatra Blue Lintong sent down to us every couple weeks from San Juan Coffee Roasting Company. Very, very good roast.

-Mike

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Quincy Market's closer to North Station than to South Station. Otherwise this is all sound advice.

OP, where are you visiting?

9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    true, tho admittedly I've never driven there, just taken the T with friends...I'm the last person to pay attention. Sorry about my mad geography skillz. :D

10. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    best lobster i've ever had was in boston. you could also take advantage of the sam adams beer if you're so inclined... :bassist:

11. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Sam is a friend of mine.

12. Hahahahaha "quayside" hahaha how quaint!

[EnglishAccent]"no thanks, i'd rather not"[/EnglishAccent]

13. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I'm checking out Tufts in Boston, then driving to see Brown and Wesleyan too.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    IMO and IME, I'd much rather spend a college-education's worth of time in Boston than Providence.

15. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    you know him personally? he's a good friend of mine too, in a manner of speaking...