headed to headless mod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by heath_the_great, Oct 6, 2004.

1. well im considering getting a sx or fender jazz or an olp stingray and basically converting it to a headless jazz or stingray using the status bridge peices and string retainer

and attaching the string retainer ala the mark king sig

but my question is this quite possible and would it put too much strain on the neck?
  2. No more strain than it strung full pitch with a headstock. the neck still gets the same tension.

Fully possible.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  4. i thought i read somewhere that headless basses created more string tension, thats why most of them were graphite, laminate or neck through :confused:
  5. The mechanics behind it still create the same tension.

It's not possible for a string to exert more tension than inherent in it from the get go...the core wire of the string is what it is.

The ONLY issue to concern with is whether the wood used in the neck's production is stable to begin with.

Anchor your string anchor system in place securely, and all should be fine. I will add (with a bit of trepidation) that this particular system isn't very attractive, and in a way, not a fully headless design.

Hohner has been making wood Steinie copies for over a decade. Same with the Steinberger Spirit line. Maple necks.

Only real bitch is getting strings.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh-ooh! Think again!

Never mind strings and strain and all that, won't make no difference at all.

The scale may change. :eek:
    The body units are quite long, and the bridges of the basses you mention are placed pretty far down. Which basically means that there may be difficulties to have the same "scale point" at the bridge as the bass was desigend for. Which means trouble with a fretted neck...

The head end shouldn't need too much worries, but a lot of planning :D
  7. a fellow bassist on the recording course I took in 94/95, Thierry Simonot from Switzerland, had a Squier Jazz that his friend had converted to a headless-

the headstock had been shortened to a Kubicki Factor-style shape and a brass block with grubscrews fitted above the nut to clamp single ballend strings.
    part of the body had been reshaped so the tuners on the tuning block/bridge, also self-made could clear it.