1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headed to the Studio on Friday

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 23, 2008.

1. We typically record in our guitarists basement. He has a pretty nice home studio, but the record label ponied up money so our guitarist wouldn't have to engineer while he records.

Here is the studio we are going to. They have a really nice live room, and I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know when we are done.

I'll be using my Warrior Signature 4 (and maybe my Fender Jazz on one tune) into my Phil Jones Bass Buddy, direct into the board.

2. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Nice. Good luck. Bring more than you think you need. Take everything, cause you may want to try some things...

3. As far as basses, my Warrior brings the tone every time. We have recorded two albums (just with this band), and all I have needed was the Warrior through the Phil Jones. I'm not a fan of a mic'ed bass tone. Basically because the tone I get direct is so good.

4. That's cool! This place is about 5 minutes from my house. Never actually been there, but I've heard of it. Good luck!

5. Just got confirmation of how we are going to record. Everyone in the main live room -- including drums. Bass and Keys are going direct, guitar amp in the drum iso booth. Headphones, and no click track (our drummer is incredible).

We always record live, and 99% don't punch or overdub. If one of us feels we messed up, we stop and start over so the whole thing is live. We all play pretty well together, so it usually isn't an issue, and doesn't take too long.

6. Here is a rough-mixed, un-mastered version of one of the songs we did on Friday. We did nine songs in 3.5 hours. All takes were live, no punches or overdubs. Bass signal is Warrior Signature 4 through Phil Jones Bass Buddy into the board. The unison parts (except the opening) have a Boss OC-3 octave on them as well. We recorded in Cubase.

And, yes, I thank the good lord above every day for our drummer. He's incredible.

7. Sounds great! I can't wait to hear the mastered version.