Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heading off to the show...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    In about 10 minutes I'll be heading out the door going to my first performance ever in front of an audience. I'm feeling a little nervous, but not too bad. Not as bad as I thought I might. I'm pretty confident about how the show will go. The club has the PA and will mic everything, so I don't have to worry about bringing my rig and having to set everything up, wich seems pretty cool. I don't pretend to be a great bassist, and I don't think anyone is really expecting too much from our little band. I know there will be some mistakes here and there, but overall I think we're up to playing a show without chasing people away. Wish us luck!

:bassist:

2. Good luck Wade!!!

Let us know how it went. :cool: :cool:

3. Yes, we need a full report when you get home.
    Break a leg.(in case you are too young to know this, Vaudeville performers believed that wishing some good luck was bad luck.)

John

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you getting any money out of it? If you are, you're a pro! LOL!

If not, come home and crack a beer (if you're of age) and chill, let your neck heal from the night of headbanging and relax.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    HAHA!

Yeah, of age by FAR! Cracked a beer or two before the show and it went very well. We had some flubs here and there as expected, but overall it was a pretty decent performance. Good enough that the club owner invited us back for next Sunday! We didn't get paid though, it was an open mic type jam. I think it was the perfect way for us to break the ice.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Where'd you guys play?

Oh yeah..glad it went well. Getting asked to come back is usually a sign you didn't suck! :D

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    We played at Daddy Rocks in Lewisville. The club owner played bass for his own three piece band and they were nice. Good tight band that sounded good, and seemed to be great folks all around. We'll be more than happy to go back next week.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cool man...that's good times,

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wait-a-sec, here: OK, flubs. How about a trainwreck? Were there any downright trainwrecks, where you actually had to stop the song?

If not, it sounds like it went all-right - but a trainwreck? -Hang your head in shame, Man! We had one in our last gig, but even the other guys in the band said "I just thought we were ending it a little early" - I wasn't just ending it early; I was lost!

Did you get someone to video it? That can be very valuable to watch - even if painful.

..An audio recording? Post a clip!

Joe

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Hey that's right! Now that you mention it, no trainwrecks for us last night. The singer did miss a verse in one song, and I think the guitar player stopped for a sec there, but the drummer and I just kept the beat going and we all picked it back up in a few seconds. That really did make me smile inside, holding it together like that. Our singers boyfriend got the whole thing on video for us and is going to get DVD's burned for us all. I'll post clips when I get a chance. I'm anxious to see that one too.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah!

Joe

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Same thing happened to my band this weekend. Guitarist/Vocalist decided he was way out of tune during a crutial slow part and stopped to fix it, but the drummer and I just kept it going like it was part of the set.

That's awesome you guys didn't trainwreck, I've had a few of those and I am always embarassed beyond belief when I get off the stage. Good luck next week!