Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heading out for my first solo gig!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by winston, Apr 9, 2004.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    In just a couple of hours I'll be playing my first ever DB solo gig, right here in Davis, CA. It's at an art opening featuring paintings by my Alexander Technique teacher's wife. I've played solo on guitar out in public a few times, but never the bass. I feel more confident than nervous--I've been practicing for several weeks now--which is a good thing, because I will also be singing and whistling along with myself!

Thankfully I have a big bass to hide behind (thanks, Arnold!) if things get hairy. Also, I am pleased as punch that I got my bow quiver in the mail from (All Hail) Bob G., which makes life a lot easier.

I will be playing a variety of tunes: several originals, a bunch of jazz--Nefertiti, Goodbye Porkpie Hat, Blue Monk, A Day In the Life Of A Fool, Spiritual, Ghosts, Naima, and So What, among others. Also, A Lotus on Irish Streams by Mahavishnu, As You Said by Jack Bruce, Fire & Rain by James Taylor, Redemption Song by Bob Marley, and Stella Blue by the Grateful Dead. Yup, I'm all over the map.

Anyway, if you read this between 5-8 Pacific time on April 9, feel free to send some good vibes my way, if you don't mind. I'll be sure to post details when I get back.