Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heading South! (Katrina battered Louisiana)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sunday night about midnight, myself, my work partner, and one helper are loading up the truck and heading to the Baton Rouge/New Orleans area for the first of possibly several-10 day work excursions replacing flooring in katrina affected homes and businesses. There working 10 days, home 4, then repeat as long as desired.

The pay rate is actually slightly less than what we normally get here, but there are mass amounts of work to do there, and virtually none here in my area for the january and february dates.

Our motel is booked just outside of Baton Rouge, and I am not for sure how much we will be doing in New Orleans. I've never been down south before, but I am looking forward to the experience.

Not like we will have much time to do much other than work, but are there any must visit attractions, restaurants, or clubs in the Baton Rouge area? I'll be bringing my computer, digital cam, and camcorder so I should have a lot of cool, and probably a lot of not so cool things to show here. I have to say though, three guys and 16 hours in my 2 seater van is going to SUCK!

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Tim, I applaud you for your actions! I'm not from La, I'm in Houston, but I just went through there at Christmas. Some of the stuff along I-10 and I-12 has started to come back. I haven't been down in Nola for several years, but my neighbor across the street is a contractor working over there. He says conditions are OK, but finding food at nite is a trick...many restaurants still don't have enough employees to reopen! We went through there evacuating from Rita (went to Ga.), and it was messed up coming back. Nice to see more people are starting to filter back there. Good luck, post pics, and keep in touch with us here... :)

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    And, from working at the newspaper and keeping my eyes open, I've gotten the impression that work is going to be available there for some time to come. Nobody's giving up hope on the city yet, but you're right, there are some snags about getting food. The city has a website with lists of open restaurants and hospitals in the N.O. area at cityofneworleans.com under the "New Orleans update" section.

4. Try the Abita (there is a "Restoration Ale" brewed just for what you are about to do).

Mike

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What you're doing is great...Good luck.

Marshall

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks, it will be nice to try to help those unfortunate out down there. Putting food on our own tables however, is the majority of the reason for going down there I must admit though. I am a slight bit worried about the general idea of being looked on as an "out of towner" there working while there are so many others out of work due to Katrina. It's not like we are taking anyones jobs though, as this is a skilled labor that takes a couple years to be able to do proficiently, and there is a ton more reconstruction to be done there than the locals can get done in a fair time. There is also a good chance we may hire some local labor to help out as well.

I am sure most are cool though, and just want to get their lives back on track.

Mike, I have no freaking idea what your post meant, but I will be PM'ing you my cell number in case you get some free time and want to knock back some cold ones.

7. I'd wager that more than half of the crews I see are out of towners...don't worry.

The Abita Beer Co. (located about 40 minutes east of Baton Rouge) began brewing the "Restoration Ale" after the hurricane. Enjoy it while you're here, they'll be stopping sooner or later. Oh, and you can buy liquer in grocery stores here. One stop shopping, indeed.

Mike

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll definitely check that out, and probably bring back a couple of sixers for my local beer-snob bass playing friends :)

9. Already got jobs lined up or are you hoping to snag them once you arrive? I can't really help in this area, I'm just curious (although my wife does want the floor redone).

Mike

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We're contracting out of Emerson Carpet One in Baton Rouge, but will definitely be asking around about the best conditions for us.

11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    That, considering most of the Ninth Ward and other low areas are houses-still-laying-in-the-street messes, work there will be easy to come by. The more well-off areas of the city apparently took on less water, as they were not located in the bowl that makes the Big Easy such a hot target for a hurricane. Those well-off people are probably going to be the ones who are deep into the restoration stage of their property and will be doing carpet renewal (if my hunches are correct ... I could be totally out there wrong).

That is what you're doing contracting out of a carpet store, correct?

I see wire photos that never make it into circulation about what's going on down there and read a lot of wire copy about small steps being made, but my general intuition is you're not going to be hurting for work if you keep your eye on the ball.

And, ... do check out the Abita. I used to dig the amber to death, but the light is really a cigar-smoking, jazz listenin' classic.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks!

We were offered enough work to stay busy 24 hours straight if we want it, and were told it "hasn't even begun yet".

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We're here now, the area and weather in Lousiana is awesome!

The motel, and store we were working at unfortunately is not. We'll be moving to Slidell to work for the rest of our stay. More later.

Tim

14. Good move, Baton Rouge is a bitch to get in and out of with all of the traffic problems they have. Also you don't have that annyoing hour and 15+ minute drive from BR to where most of the work would be.