1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heading to Memphis This Weekend, Any Bass Shops?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jzbass6, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

I'm heading down to Memphis this weekend, anyone know of any good bass shops, stores, etc and of course jam sessions?
    Thanks

2. Martin Music in Memphis has IMO, the best selection of basses in Memphis. They are also IMO, the most expensive. Another one is Lane Music, I've never been there, only talked by phone with them. I'd stay clear of a place called "STRINGS AND THINGS", poor service and not much if any bass inventory. I live just across the river in Arkansas, so I'm not real sure of the street addresses. When you get there, look in the yellow pages, you'll see lots of music store listing. As for as jam sessions, I believe there are quite a few going on all the time. You will just have to check the local club listings. While your in Memphis, be sure to head on down to Beale Street, night clubs out the wahzoo in every direction, plus lots more just off of Beale Street. I'm sure your gonna have a good time. Hope this helped. :bassist: :D

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd check out Taylor's Music in mid town, they have a lot of odds n ends and consignments. Martin's Music out in east Memphis probably has a pretty large inventory of basses....Laklands, Smiths, Fender, EB, etc. Those are really the only two stores worth mentioning. If you need directions or if I can help in anyway just drop me a PM.

Also my band is playing downtown this Sunday for the Memphis Heritage and Arts Festival, you might want to check that out if you are still in town. There will be a lot of local memphis groups playing at this event if you want to check out some local music.

by the way, make sure you go by the Stax museum while you are in town!! Also, becareful!

4. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Yes! Memphis thread! Woot Woot!

ok seriously. Taylor's Music is worth checking out, they are known for having really unique vintage gear. Not always much in the bass section but worth stopping by. Really nice gyu runs it. Lots of good deals on vintage gear.

Martin is pretty cool as well, I have bought a bass from them before. Lots of fender and EBMM

The guitar center is pretty big. its worth checking out early in the morning when its not crowded or later in the evening before they close on the week days. Im not too crazy about GC in general but you can have some fun.

If you want one of the best burgers (or veggie burgers for that matter) check out a place called Huey's there are like 8 of them around town.

p.m. me if you want any suggestions for resturants/bars/church/whatever.

Stax museum is a must if you have time.

Jason

5. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Thanks thatÂ’s great since I've recently become a Vegetarian.

Hey Junior, Whats the name of your band? I'll try to look for you.
    Thanks Roger, Junior and Jason for all the info I'm really looking forward to the trip.:bassist:

6. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Wow there are so many good places to get vegetarian food here.

Pho Hoa Bihn is a Vietnamese place that has incredible tofu dishes.

R. P. Tracks is a Bar and Grill by the University of Memphis that has BBQ Tofu Nachos that are huge, lots of other veggie options.

Lots of good Mexican Restaurants that have veggie options.

-Jason

7. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    I'd check out Lane Music--I've done business with them in the past and they treated me very well.

As mentioned above, Martin Music is a good place to look around but their prices are high. It's a good place to try things out.

You could see who is playing at the Gibson Showcase while you are there--Oteil Burbridge is playing there soon (I'm not sure of the date).

8. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    As said before, Martin Music. They're on Germantown Rd (close to Dexter) in Cordova. Yes, expensive, but will price match anywhere! Dont let the sticker price fool you. Talk to Zack or Will, they're my buds.
    Of course there is always GC, its just up the road from Martin. Lane music as someone on here mentioned is in Germantown. Last time I went there (which has been several years admittingly) they pretty much only had pianos and wind instruments.
    Strings and Things USED to be the place to go...not so much these days.
    Hope you enjoy yourself here in beautiful crime-free Memphis :rollno:. :D