1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heading to SoCal...what to check out?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jmoorewright, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm heading to southern California in a week for work/vacation, and wondering if anyone has suggestions of things to check out. We'll be in Palm Springs visiting in-laws, then Carlsbad for a conference with a couple of side-trips to San Diego, then Anaheim to visit Mickey et al.

Any cool shops or venues, or events coming up anyone can think of? Thanks!

2. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA
    I had such a great time talking/hanging with Chris today at Bass San Diego http://www.basssandiego.com/. It was refreshing for me to get away and meet such a great person. Great People, Great Basses, and Great T-Shirts!!! You definitely need to check out this Bass Gem.

3. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Yes indeed, George is also a very cool cat. He's the only person I let touch my basses these days for set ups. Great atmosphere, and plenty of high end bass candy to check out....

4. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    If you can catch a show at the Belly Up do it. Solana Beach. Is pretty close to Carlsbad.

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    If you've ever had any curiosity about Carvin Basses, check out their Factory Store in San Diego. Usually have many good examples and their entire amp line.
    I remember playing at The Belly Up Tavern in the 80s-a cool venue!

6. Not really music or bass related, but when you're in SD go to a taco shop. Best Mexican food you'll ever have. Anything that ends in "berto's" Haven't been home in a while, but I'm sure others will recommend a place.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, BSD. Definitely BSD.

8. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, definitely some good stuff to check out!

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Knott's Berry Farm chicken for lunch or dinner.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

When in Palm Springs get a deep fried twinkie at the restaurant that has the high heel red shoe on top of it. Enjoy!

11. Been there a few times, and that restaurant doesn't ring a bell...sounds like something to check out.

Is it just me, or is there not much of a music scene in that area?

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Visit Joshua Tree National Park, it's fairly close to Palm Springs. It's wildflower season and should be amazing.

13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Can't go wrong there, except to observe that San Diego is _the_ center of the Carne Asada Burrito universe. And taquitos.

Do not try to go too fancy. Stick to the "*berto's"

San Diego has a bit of an inferiority complex, but deservedly so, as being Lost Angeles minor league. I have seen lots of nice concerts in San Diego but none of the players were _from_ there. Overgeneralizing, what you get is people not ready for LA, or burned out by LA.

And as much as I like Palm Springs, it is heavily tourist oriented. Like a cruise ship that's permanently docked. It is beautiful in spring. Past that, you have to really love the low desert...

14. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only place I don't miss when in/around San Diego is Stone Brewing. A great brewery, with great food and impressive grounds.

15. Thanks everyone for all the pointers, they've been a big help and we've been having a great time.

The cruise ship metaphor for Palm Springs was right on the mark. Very relaxed and cool vibe, but fairly tourist oriented. But hey, I'm a tourist. Joshua Tree was very cool, check out a pic on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/YBgF0HB-zI/

Still in Carlsbad/San Diego area, and really loving it here. Part of it was leaving 3 feet of snow behind, I suppose. I am amazed at the quality of food, and it seems the less fancy the restaurant, the better things taste!

The hi light was Bass San Diego. Spent a couple of hours yesterday, and all I can say is wow! Great guys to hang out and chat with, very indulgent answering all my stupid questions. And so many awesome instruments I'd never get a chance to see at home, let alone play. Just need to start filling up the piggy bank for my next visit...

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    www.taco-the-town

It's been a while since I updated it, but it's all reviews of San Diego taco shops.