1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headless 30" 6-er, does it exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I've seen the Kiesel Vader can be ordered in a 6-string version and with a 30" neck, but I'm not crazy about the body shape, so just wondering if there are other reasonably priced basses like this on the market. I presuming no, but... Who knows?! ☺️

2. peterfrey2000

peterfrey2000 Peter

Jun 22, 2012
    Spring, Texas
    I would think Brady Muckelroy would build one. I know he offers a headless and 6 string basses.

TolerancEJ and MrWalker like this.
  3. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks!
    I know Tom Clement will build me one, too. ☺️ just curious to see what's out there! And if there are options outside the custom market

4. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Sep 2, 2010
    here you are:

seang15 and tlc1976 like this.
  5. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Wow... I didn't know about this one! Thanks for letting me know!

6. Dhub

Dhub

May 3, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    I agree with your dislike of the Kiesel Vader body. I own two 34"ers. One fret and one fretless. I spent some time re shaping the fretless, removing 3/4 pound of wood. It feels much nicer than the original body. The original feels cheap to me, sharp edges and less than desirable ergonomics. Like you I would love to get a 30" headless. I absolutely love headless basses. I contacted Carvin /Kiesel to see if I could order a 30" one unfinished and they said no way.
    I added some pix. It is not a perfect finish but I intended to try it and probably remove more wood. DSC05567.JPG DSC05568.JPG DSC05569.JPG DSC05570.JPG DSC05571.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    r10, seang15 and MrWalker like this.
  7. I realized everyone's preferences are different. I actually like the design of the Kiesel Vader.

MrWalker likes this.
  8. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Sep 2, 2010
    Too soon to be in extasy but the mtd looks great. Too bad it will be placed around the 3700/4000 $ spot. I had Daniel from mtd by mail and he just confirmed me this average price (before options).

I'm planning something like this since a couple of years but for no more than half this price tag..

MrWalker likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think I speak for the community when I say "pics. now."

;) :D

I was going to tell the OP about Carvin but I guess he already knows.

10. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    The Kiesel grows on me. :)
    I would love the mtd, but not the price tag :)

11. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Wow, excellent work on the rounding of the body! You should send it back to them and suggest it as an option!

In the meantime, I've been looking for other options, as well. I realize that unless you go totally custom, it's hard to get hold of a 30" 6-string. There are some options in the hi-end custom market, including Tom Clement and Callowhill.

Then yesterday, I found this beauty from Mensinger, sold by public-peace.de! It's the Mensinger Cazpar 6a, and is built by hand in Poland.

caz150265.

It is a lot cheaper than the mtd and even the Kiesel! So, I had to accept the headstock... But I've ordered it and looking forward to receiving it! It's even got a Glockenklang preamp in there! And it's hollowbody and weighs only 3.5 kg.

Looking forward to receiving it!

BassmanM, nonohmic and Dhub like this.
  12. Dhub

Dhub

May 3, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    Please follow up with a review after you get it.
    Looks beautiful!

skeeler and MrWalker like this.
  13. It takes a good luthier to make a nice low B in 30" scale. Can't say I've heard the Vader B string in person yet.

14. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    It would be an electronics mod platform, but there is a 30" Brice 6-string that is sometimes on the Rondo site. I have seen a couple of very positive reviews of it here on TB.

Sometimes there is a trans blue with maple fb in stock, at present they have the bubinga laminate.

Brice HXB2-406 3/4 Nat Bubinga Short Scale Bass - RondoMusic.com

15. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Yes, I'm intersted in a 5-string Cazpar, so I'd like to know your opinion.

16. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Ok, been busy for a while with moving my girlfriend and her youngsters in, so my apologies for the late review!

I've had the Mensinger Cazpar for a few weeks now, and had the chance to play it for a bit. It's a great bass, that's for certain. Fit and finish is great, no flaws found as far as I've been able to see. The fretwork is very good, low action, no sharp fret ends, and no uneven frets to cause buzzing anywhere. The neck is straight and haven't needed any attention so far, but it's been stable (extremely poor) weather conditions, so I don't know yet whether it will move some during season changes.
    The neck is three piece neck with thin stringers in between, so I reckon it should be fairly stable.
    It"s lightweight, beautiful and comfortable to play.
    Soundwise, this bass sounds great and is very flexible. The low B is maybe not the tightest compared to the best basses of mine, but it is not as floppy as many. It's usable, no distinct drop in volume or tone, is just slightly floppier than the E string. I'd say it compares well with my Fender Deluxe V, but looses out to my Lakland Skyline 55-01 or Ken Smith BT6. But then again, that's hefty competition!
    More importantly, how does it compare to expectations? I'm very positively surprised by the quality and tone of this instrument, including the low B. I was expecting it to feel quite a bit sloppier and floppier than a 34" instrument. But it feels and sounds like a great instrument all over the neck despite its short scale length. I was initially expecting to tune this E-F (rather than B-C) because I had almost written off the possibility of getting a good B string at this scale length.
    But I was wrong (luckily).

My conclusion is that even though it's not the tightest B around, it's certainly very good, and the rest of the bass is an extremely well built and versatile little bass. I have no regrets on my purchase, and it's currently one of my main basses, second only to my Ken Smith. But I guess there might be a bit of honeymoon still. ☺️

JACink and skeeler like this.
  17. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Cool. Thanks for your feedback. I'm interested in E-C tuning, so any concern about the B string is't an issue for me. Did you order from Public Peace's stock, or is this one custom? Also, does the bridge have a screw adjustment for intonation, or do you have to loosen the sting, slide the saddle, then tighten the string?

Photos?

MrWalker likes this.
  18. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Add me to the interested list ;)

19. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yes, I ordered from Public Peace's stock. Great service!
    The bridge has set screws as you describe, and not a spring loaded adjustment screw.

skeeler likes this.
  20. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Just to clearify, on mine, I wouldn't consider the B-string an issue. It's a good and pretty tight B-string that is more than good enough. Given the scale length, I was actually very positively surprised.