1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headless 5ver under construction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Mar 15, 2008.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I like my headless 4 so much that I 'm making a fiver too. I've never had a fiver before. I desided to use narrow (16,5mm) string spacing at bridge and made the tuner/bridge that way. As bridge I use a modified cheap eBay bridge, the tuner part is made of brass in house. Body is ash with flame walnut top, neck will be maple-wenge-maple with EIR fretboard. Bartolini narrow soapbar pickups.
    Here's a pic of the body and bridge/tuners.
    Marko

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Cool! you know I've got a couple of 16.5 spacing fives and to me they feel just right. Did you knurl the tuner knobs? Hard to tell from your photo tuning may be hard if you didn't

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Yes the knobs are knurled. I'll post close-ups of the bridge on Monday.
    I had 16mm spacing on my Guild Starfire and it felt just right, not too tight at all. That's why I chose 16,5mm spacing for this fiver.
    I just can't wait to see the top finished. I went to my local hardwood supplier and told him that I want some figured walnut. He showed me a blank of European walnut and said "I'm not sure if there's any figure in it, you should plane it to see it yourself". I saw there were some curl under the bark and bought a piece of this blank. When I went to work and planed the side I was more than pleased. Half of the blank has similar flame figure as this, other half has smaller curl on it. I like the dark stripes a lot too. I'm having at least four tops out of this blank. Not bad for 30€!
    Marko

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    I may be biased because I am a walnut and headless freak but for the money that top is spectacular!

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Here's one of the bridge.
    Marko

6. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    looks good, did you machine the tuner body as well? Looks like you used a fine knurl.

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Tuner body is made by myself. Only bridge and saddles are bought ready and modified. A friend turned the knobs, that's the knurl he can make. Could have been a bit rougher but there's enough grip in these too.
    Marko

8. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Do you use regular screw threads for the tuners or something more specialized like an Acme or other square-shouldered screw?

Asad

9. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I use regular M4 screw threads and screws.
    Marko

10. DSB1

DSB1

Mar 8, 2006
    Very cool, please post more pics of the bridge.

11. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I rounded the body edges, radiused the fingerboard an routed the neck pocket. Fretting today, then drilling the neck screws.
    Marko

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This thing looks really cool, Marko!
    And it's so neat to see people do more than just the woodwork.:)

13. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Heres a tip I found on a couple of my tuner builds, if you use a couple of small washers between the tuner knob and the body it will help reduce friction making tuning easier and it holds the lubrication better. The bass is looking great so far!

14. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I too use washers between knobs and body. I may try some kind of nylon washers this time. They could reduce the friction even more.
    Thanks for the comments, I fretted the bass today and shaped the neck too. Next I'll route pickup cavities and control cavity. Then it's final sanding and oli finishing.
    I ordered schematics for Alembic Series I and Series II onboard preamp and I may try one of those on this bass.
    Marko

15. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Pickup and control cavities routed and the whole bass sanded to 600 grit with Liberon Finishing oil and wet'n'dry paper. Curl on the top is looking fine!
    I don't like the sound of bridge jazz pup so I routed the bridge pup to MM neck side coil position.
    Sanding with oil to 1200 next. I'll have to make the string clamp too. I guess I can finish the bass next week.
    Marko

16. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Close-up of the body.
    Marko

17. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, this ones coming alone great.

18. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    what are the advantages to a headless bass?
    and where could i buy the bridge parts/tuners?
    maybe im not looking hard enough?

19. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Less weight/neck dive issues.
    Allparts.com

20. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    wow 380. they sure do cost a lot of cash.