headless advantages

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mfortin, Jul 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mfortin

mfortin Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Quebec
    What are the pros and cons for a headless bass?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Mostly improved balance, reduced size (very helpful for traveling, small stages) takes up less room.
    Everything else is the same
    Most headless basses can use standard strings too.
    The only disadvantage is that some people don’t like the look

3. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Not to mention they stay in tune better

diegom, Hankenstein, zon6c-f and 5 others like this.
  4. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I guess I just mentioned it...

Herrick, mmbass21, jfh2112 and 9 others like this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Don't forget reduced size that @Lesfunk mentioned generally means lighter in weight (although other factors need to be taken into account).

Most notable factor that made me still keeping my headless guitar from the 80s is the lightweight.

dkelley and Green Knight like this.
  6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Pros:
    Relatively light weight
    Shorter overall length, despite full scale
    Easy to travel with
    Easy to move with
    Stays in tune
    Doesn't sound like a P or J Bass
    o_O Chick magnet

Cons:
    Stupid remarks (you'll get many!)
    Overzealous TSA folks
    Doesn't sound like a P or J Bass
    Hand sliding off the end during overzealous downward glissandos

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    GIBrat51, Methaneman, zon6c-f and 5 others like this.
  7. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Tone

I have a Steinberger L2

It has its own thing.

8. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Increase in playing ability

There is nowhere to hide with sloppy or rough technique. It made me practice more diligently because it voices everything.

BergerHead, ELG60 and Wanker_Joe like this.
  9. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Tuning evenly

IMO the Bass is in tune from one end to the other
    Therefore it has a 'better' range

This should also increase the Players ability.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Pros:

---Lack of neck dive

Cons:

---Looks really odd.
    ---Throws me off not to have a headstock.

Otherwise they're no better or worse than any other type of bass or guitar.

11. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Well the fact that it won't sound like a j or p bass is a pro. If you want that sound get that style bass. I love unique tones that's why I am looking forward to getting my headless bass.

jfh2112, John6 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  12. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

You're right. It can be either a pro or a con. :) Edited the post to reflect that.

GTHintz likes this.
  13. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    I think the only way it's a con is to certain folks who just want that generic vroomy bass tone. Personally I have always strived to make my tone as big and interesting as possible. I like to have a low that fills space but doesn't drown everything else while having mids and highs that are on point. I call it sounding heavy but still having dynamics. But back to headless specific. I will be exited to see how well my new bass plays when it gets here. It's a höhner b2 which is basically a steinberger but with different construction materials. I've played a headless steinberger before and loved it. The feel was great and it sounded really big for being a compact design. Every note seemed to be precise and lots of precise punch we'll say.

foal30 and dkelley like this.
  14. Some players say they struggle with the lack of a headstock (or headstock volute) as they use it as a point of reference for finding 1st position. Without it, they feel lost at the lower end of the neck. I've never had this issue, even with a true headless like my old Status Series II.

I also really like headless basses that have a vestigial headstock for locking the strings but still tune from the bridge - things like the Kubicki Ex Factor and the Bogart Blackstone.

15. I find the that the tuning is very stable indeed. Sometimes I can go a few long gigs before tuning.

The biggest thing lately has been the small stages - that has been the deciding factor when choosing which bass to take.

Only real con is finding reasonably priced strings for the basses that only take double ball. Newtone and Status in the UK are the best suppliers that I have found.

Unfortunately I still keep a Jazz type bass cos there are STILL folks who can't handle the look of the headless. Stoopid really considering that even Cliff Williams went headless in the 80s....

16. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I like the two I've got, a hohner b2a and a hohner the jack custom v. They definitely stay in tune and the ratio is I believe 40:1 sometimes getting it in tune is funny because thee slightest adjustment goes such a long way!

Low84 likes this.
  17. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Another pro is reduced incidence of dead spots.

HolmeBass, miljoneir, dkelley and 2 others like this.
  18. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I love my headless basses, and agree with everything except a few of the tone comments. IMO/IME headlessness itself doesn’t affect the tone in any particularly noticeable way. Meaning, yes, one can get traditional tones—p or j for example—from a headless bass. Just put a p or j pickup(s) in the usual spot(s) and you’re there.

Agree the only downside is the comments they draw. Wearing a headless bass appears to be akin to wearing a fanny pack in public. Sure its practical for the wearer, but people think they are dorky and uncool and will tell you so. Besides that, they are 100% win imo.

tzohn, jmattis, dabbler and 3 others like this.
  19. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    One con I can think of is that headless instruments that only take double ball end strings reduces the available string options. I can't just go to any old music shop and slap on a set of Boomers in a pinch.

However, modern headless basses (e.g. the Kiesel Vader) use traditional strings, so that's a non-issue now.

I'm not overly fond of how headless basses look (I always thought Steinbergers were ugly; my bass needs a body and curves dagnabbit!), but I can dig those Kiesel Vaders. Those look really cool to me.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ive never had any trouble finding double ball strings in any guage i like online, and they generally work better than single ball. All the single ball clamping systems ive seen tend to break strings. I have literally never had a double ball string break in 35 years. The original Ned Steinberger bridge is still the best design IMO, the straight line pull, like drawing a bow string, imparts no string twist. My XP-2 will stay in tune for MONTHS in the case. The graphite/CF necks dont react to changes in temperature or humidity in any measurable way, it always feels the same, which makes them superior to wood headless necks IMO. My XP-2 has no dead spots I can hear. There is no "headless tone", the Steinberger hi-fi tone is largely an artifact of the EMG pups and electronics. Different pups = different tone. I dont get the whole "dated" thing. Fender P and J basses were invented in the 50's, are they "dated"? If you need your bass to be a hip fashion statement, headless is not for you. Everything else about them falls in the Pro column.

nnnnnn, bebi, foal30 and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021