Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless bass query

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 30, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay... I've gone mad, I guess...

I went into GC and they had a Steinberger XQ5... bolt on 5 string, super narrow spacing, funky shape, etc. Well, to be honest, I kind of liked it. I'm in a band that plays music well suited for that type of bass (and the dudes aside from me are all old )and we play sort of late 80's early 90's type music. It would not only be fun to have, but practical as well (never out of tune, fits in tight spaces).

The thing is... I like a 35" scale, graphite neck. And don't really want to have to have someone make me custom ball end strings every time I need to change. I know of some companies, but need links and help. What's out there? Anyone have pics? Is it even worth my time to concern myself with this?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    MusicYo sells the double ball end strings as well as an adapter that allows you to use single ball end strings.MusicYo

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm confused. The XQ was 35" scale, or that's your normal preference? As far as I know, all Steinbergers were and are 34" scale.

I highly recommend Status Graphite for Steinie strings. They have a full range of types - I'm rather fond of his flatwounds, which all my Steinbergers wear (a "real" XM2A and three Spirits).

Or are you considering a custom 35" scale graphite necked five? Moses is the way to go, IMO. Check out Black Rose Customs - John does great work.

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The XQ is a 34" and sounded good, but I have a Modulus and believe it sounds GREAT! The extra tension DOES make a difference and if I have a backup, I'd like it to be similar. (And I know... a Modulsu to back a Modulus... But I want headless too... I think :confused: )

I checked and the Status only come in 34" headless.
    Moses didn't have any sort of 35" 5 string.
    Got a link for the Black?

5. I need pictures of someone playing the "spirits"(steinberger)

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First, drop Steve at Moses an email. Very likely he can do a 35" headless neck for you.

Then, contact John at Black Rose Custom to see what he can do for you. John makes some beautiful basses.

Other sources of killer custom headless gear include Bill Wilcat and Bunker, although Bunker doesn't do graphite that I know.

Just be aware 35" strings are not normally available in double-ball flavor, so you'll need a clamping head. Status will do 35" double-balls on special order.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ahem...

Status DOES make a 35" scale headless bass, just ask him.

there are three 35" scale basses at the Moses website, including two headless 35's. did you go to the right website?

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Oh... on the moses, I just ended up looking at the neck section... I was thinking maybe I could snag the XQ cheap, then replace the neck... but they don't have a 35" headless 5 steinie neck listed.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let me know if you go that route - I would be interested in the original neck!