1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Apr 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    Looking to pickup a headless bass but I prefer them to have a body I can rest my arm on
    (Status king bass, kiesel Vader, etc...)

My question is which one is the better buy for long term?

2. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    I do love mark kings status tone but can that also be replicated on the Vader?

3. No.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    While it probably won't be able to get AS bright as a Status, don't forget aout the NS Design Radius basses... or Kubickis- those should get pretty close.

TolerancEJ and WalterBush like this.
  5. I've been emailing Carvin about a custom order with f-holes on a Vader. They aren't too fond of that idea - sometimes they'll do something unusual like that but on the condition of a non-warrantied sale.
    Also, I'm talking to them about rounding out the top of the body edges more.
    And, as of yet, they don't offer a bridge with piezo pickups.
    I'm still working on these things.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  6. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I'd go for the Status.

You might also look at the old Steinberger Q. Those were really under appreciated instruments.

But all things being equal, I'd go Status.

7. Custom might be the way to go if Carvin won't do it. FWIW, I was talking to a builder who said Hipshot's piezos seemed to have issues with 1-2 saddles not working on the headless model. The same builder noted that this problem was somewhat common on the headless, but uncommon with a similar conventional bridge.