1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headless Basses ~ $2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think I know the answer to this already but here goes...

I have a perpetual hard-on for headless 5 bangers and just found two grand in change in my sofa cushions. I'm running out of ideas as I already have a David King 5, Status Stealth 5, and a Bunker / PBC 5. Yes, they're ugly to some but nothing hangs on a strap as comfortably as a headless.

The only thing I've seen in that range is the Zon Vinny 5, of which I've heard nothing but good. Any other suggestions or alternative builders I might be missing.

Please hurry as my wife might find my $$ stash and make me spend it on stupid stuff...like the mortgage, utilities, son's tuition, etc.

Thanks

Riis

2. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
  3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I say buy another status. ide say a S2 or a kingbass look might nice. You could find a used one on ebay for 2000 i imagine.

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No to the headless 6 string! I stumble around enough with a fiver, and that's with using the B string as a thumbrest.

Sei basses are indeed gorgeous but out of my price range. I believe Chris Larkin (Ireland) makes a striking singlecut headless 5. Drool!

Hmmm...a second Status? That's a thought. I'd go for one with a wood body this go around. Problem is that they're scarce as hen's teeth. The majority of those on E-bay are headed, as well.

I'm still leaning towards the Zon on the basis of availability.

Riis

5. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    The Status Graphite S2 is pleasantly different than the Stealth. Sei basses do show up used from time to time. Regularly check what's available at www.thebassgallery.com. Note, you take about 20% the prices listed in the UK as we don't pay their VAT here. And 2 day shipping from London is about $100.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    You can get a Steinberger 5 string on eBay for less than $2000.

My wife is reading over my shoulder and smacked me for sympathizing with you, then said she'd personally come over there and brain you for doing it, though ;)

7. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    Bear in mind that if the instrument is second hand, VAT is applied only to the dealer mark-up (profit) on the instrument, so you would not get 17.5% off of the sale (whole) price and, in my experience, the cost of 2-day shipping to the USA from the UK is more like 100 to 130 pounds or close to 200 dollars, plus you will have to pay import tax on the declared value of the instrument.

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    You are correct on the VAT. It seems to only be taken off on a new instrument. Shipping a bass by UPS from London to Miami is consistently $90 to $110, UPS or FedEx overnight (plus a small tax that you are billed for later). What I don't understand is why shipping back to the UK is double that!

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good Lord Almighty! Now I've got women 3,000 miles away threatening me. Well, I'd just like to see her try it!! Now excuse me while I go hide in my closet.

I'd given some thought to the new USA Steinie 5 ($1599) from Music Yo but I haven't seen any user reviews yet.

Riis

10. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I'll throw in a nod to Jacob Marchlewski, he's built a few headless basses and his work is stellar.

www.marchlewskiguitars.com

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Riis,

I think a very good starting point would be to get that Stealth back to the original owner. That would help you clear your head and start fresh. :bag:

12. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I reviewed it a couple of months back. A really good bass, except for a weak 'B' string (could by my action was too high?) and a so-sobridge. But for the money, a real Steinberger, on a par with the XL2's I owned for 15 years. Very nicely made too.

NOTE: MUSICYO.COM HAS THEM ON SALE!

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You're certifiable, ya know that? Here's another look, just to piss you off.

Good hearing from you!

Riis

Attached Files:

14. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    It should be taken off, but it seems that few people actually do this in practice. Since it does not have to be paid to the government, they just pocket it as profit (I guess).

Your experience is better than mine then when shipping from London to NC. The Gallery charged me more than 100 pounds for this - about 130 pounds as I recall. I'd like to think they only charge me the actual shipping costs, since I have bought a couple of basses from them. I have actually found that the reverse is true - that it's much cheaper to ship out of the US to the UK. Go figure.

15. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    My experience is really based on Status Graphite mostly, and once with The Gallery.

16. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the tip.

Are they really US made? I heard at one time that Moses was doing their necks; don't know if that's true or not.

The weight is listed at 10.5 lbs (average). Are they really that heavy?

Riis