Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless Basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Feb 22, 2004.

1. So what do people think to headless basses..i say this cause i have never found them particually great to handle....but yesterday i palyed a status headless and found it to be really frrigging goood....loved the action...

but there is a Sei Flamboyant 4 string headless on ebay

[​IMG]

and i loove the look of it...!!..

what are the pros' and con's between headed and headless...??..

is it a difficult swtich over...i have a GB IV and would loove to get something a lil different.!!!...

any thoughts...

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I played a SEI in London. They are VERY good. I own a Status S2 headless and the SEI would be bit cleaner and more polite sounding. The Status is more aggressive. I think anyway. I love the tone.
    Headless basses for me have no cons. I think they're great! I have headed basses as well. But to me nothing LOOKS cooler than a Status S2. Just my opinion though! Hope this helps.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Hey JMX, I got to meet Reiner Dobbratz and play a couple of those things. Really great stuff. Reiner is a hoot too!

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I love headless bass,

they balance better and have better tuning stability.

I'll be building more headlesses from now...

Peace, JP

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Only ones I care for are the ones with at least the mini-headstock. It just looks awkward to me. Playing, it's not really a problem, but the visual asthetic escapes me.

David King does this "flare" at the end of the neck on his headless basses, so you don't overshoot the first position, and that really solves the only playability issue I might have had with headless basses.

No opposed to them, however. Just haven't seen one I really like. Those Le Fay are pretty close, thought. If I had to go with my favorite headli so far, it'd be them or Basslab.

7. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I'm a sucker for headless basses. I have to stop and play everyone that I see! The headless off the top of my head that I haven't diddled with is a Le Fay. The ones I tried were headed.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, Reiner is hilarious. Did you see his rolling showroom? It used to be a mobile bank that used to tour to small villages that didn't have their own bank office.

9. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    ZenBass,
    As you know, I've also got a GB Spitfire and as great as it sounds and plays, for comfort, I'd give my headless Statuses (Stati?) the edge all day long.

I'm getting used to the GB, but if Bernie had offered a headless model, I'd have ordered one.

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I've got a late 80s Status Series II, and I love it. The balance on headless basses is brilliant - but it does tend to throw people the first time they try them. I've also owned a Steinberger XL2, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that I don't own it anymore!!

As for Sei basses, they're amazing. I've visited Martin's store in Camden a few times, and he's a top class luthier. His attention to detail is amazing, and his instruments just ooze class.

11. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, this is OBVIOUSLY a thread I have to chime in on . . .

Ever since I bought my Steinberger in '81, I have been a captive of headless design. The idea of a bass that does not stay in position when you take your hands off it is just ridiculous to me, and you also get this wonderfully lightweight, compact, never-goes-out-of-tune stuff as well. Now, if I play a bass with a headstock, it seems clumsy and throws off my sense of where first position is.

My Steinberger was joined by a Moses Graphite Vertical Jump Bass 5-string about 8 months ago, because wide-5 Steinbergers are rare and very expensive and this seemed like a good alternative. It is - so good that I find myself playing it considerably more, and have to be sure to play the Steinberger so that it won't get jealous. Now I'm going to add a headless 5-string fretless to the family, not sure yet exactly what it will be, but I'll let you know.

--Ken

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like headless basses..they have great low action and tune well.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I still really want a bassline worp assuming they are good bsases. I wish someone other than Joey G music carried them.

14. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    No, I didn't get to see the showroom. He was at NAMM for a while with some friends. Funny guy!
    As for the SEI bass, I've been to Martin's place in Camden. They are great. You couldn't go wrong getting that thing. Status is amazing too and I used to play Steinbergers but I got tired of that sound. I have been 'bergerless since 1992. I still think that the Steiny is the most brilliant design ever though! Oh yeah.

15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hey JMX, where can I find out more on that LeFey headless? Thanks.

16. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

A Kramer Duke in '81, a second (fretless) in '82, a Berger (XL2A) in '84, and a Kubicki X-Factor in '87. Tried to switch to an MTD 635, but couldn't do the headstock thang any more, and went bach to the Kubicki.
    I'm ruint :D! Headless all the way! :help:
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    im not a big fan of the head totaly gone, it looks ok but i love whta kubicki did.

www.kubicki.com

18. I want to get one of the new Steinberger's, just for fun, and it's portability.

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Headless basses lack nothing except some extra, useless length, bad balance and great self-detuning capacity.

Thus: heads belong on bassists, not on their instruments.
    Not mine anyway, that's for sure!

20. Fender73

Fender73

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Hi All,

I have a cheap and cheerful Hohner Jack and it's a great little bass. I've had a couple of other headless basses and have always liked the design

Cheers

Graeme