Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless bridges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jay_t, Mar 17, 2006.

1. I have a dumb question. Well.... maybe not dumb but here it goes!

I have seen a bass or two with the headless bridge installed that did not have a headless set up on the other end. Instead there was a peghead and tuner posts but no tuning keys. Anybody know where I can find info on this set up? ETS has the bridge but I am curious as to how the posts work and where to get them. I can't even seem to find pics of the setup in question.

TIA!

Jay t

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  3. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Dealer of: BassLab, Eminence, Upton, A.I., Muse, MIDIjet
    Is this what you mean?

[​IMG]

These are string clamps on the head of a BassLab C-BOW.

Also, JP at http://www.jpbasses.com/ has used the same hardware.

4. The bridge/saddle is right but not the mounting system at the headstock. Close though.... nice basses.

I may just have to commission ETS to make the pegs.

5. That's it! I didn't want to be stuck using double-ball strings.

6. Are those made by basslab? I don't see any product info on the site about them.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ETS has on ther catalog/price list, an item "headpiece for bass, brass". If it's what I think it is in the picture (it may not be!), it is not the peg-type, though - it is the strip-of-holes type.

JP has said that the individual units that he and Heiko (of BassLab) use are not available any more from the manufacturer.

I've been wondering whether ETS might duplicate the JP/BassLab units.

8. I wouldn't mind the other type but I would like to be able to pick any string (DR) ;) and install them. I figure it couldn't be too difficult to make a basic shaft like a locking tuner that just holds the string so you can tune from the bridge side still. This will also free up the peghead design so I can be as creative as I want without worrying about tuner placement as well.

9. I guess I should draft one up and send it to ETS... see what they say.

10. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    If you want, I can ask Heiko if he'll sell you some. PM or e-mail me via my web site.

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    As far as I could tell, the ETS thing is for clamping normal (non-double-ball) strings, but I could be wrong about that.

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    its looks like thats wut the ets thing is for. i may go and call them up tomorrow. and see if i can order my headless bridge system from them for my custom.

i'm working with moses on the graphite neck.

and i'm ordering the body blank and flame top from gallery hardwoods asap.

pickups are dingwalls from bestbassgear.

13. tinmar

tinmar

Dec 26, 2003
    Paris
    This is the ETS headpiece.

Martin

14. That might work. I really wanted to be able to install the individual pegs to give the bass the facade of normalcy. Greg has got me set up at this point.

15. Hey Tinmar,

Can you drop one of those pieces in and still have the peghead? I know a lot of these are designed for headless instruments.

16. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Here's a similar one installed on a BassLab STD-V. The metal was machined to the neck cross-section, attached with screws, filled with composite, then lacquered to match. This is the normal procedure on the STD series.

http://www.basslabusa.com/pic/clamp_headless_276x220.jpg

This style of clamp "caps" the end of the neck, so it's not likely that you could easily attach a head.

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In other words, he's getting you some Duesenberg pegs through Heiko?

18. tinmar

tinmar

Dec 26, 2003
    Paris
    Sorry I don't know, I only have this picture that Norbert sent to me today.

Martin

19. That's cool! I appreciate it!