1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headless Builders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Mar 23, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I usually like my builders to have a head, but preferably attached to their own neck and body.

What I'm searching for is a luthier that would build a completely custom headless bass. I've seen Status, and have played Steinbergers (Spirit's, American, and copies). The Status body design isn't my cup o' joe. And I prefer the tone and feel of a wood neck.

So, what can you guys suggest to me? Pics and links are appreciated. I've got a lot of ideas of how I want it to look on paper already, and I just need the genious luthier to put it into form.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hm...
    Headless builders...Isn't that kinda an Oxy-Moron?

-Mark

3. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    QUOTE=TheEmptyCell]I usually like my builders to have a head, but preferably attached to their own neck and body.
    QUOTE]

Ok this is too obvious, It would be way too easy...
    Moving on-
    Jacob Marchlewski made a headless singlecut for me, and he is a quality luthier. I'm pretty sure Chris Benavente would be willing to do one- I've talked to Brian at the Low End about a headless Benavente before. I've also talked to Bee basses and Stambaugh. Try emailing some good luthiers and see if they are open to the idea.
    13627210_f1e7396ec5.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
  6. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    chris stambaugh (www.stambaughdesigns.com) is always looking for something new.

i may order a headless from him, actually. but not completely headless, but one of those "head stringretainer" types so it doesn't look too much like its missing something.

7. David King makes a GREAT headless product. I've played TC Dolgin's fretted 6 lightwave King bass and it is awesome. It's sounds like a King Bass would be perfect for you! :)
    http://www.kingbass.com/photo.html
    (Check out the headless red 4-string Jazz. No way!)

Stick with David King, Status, Steinberger. Even JP Basses in France has some solid looking headless ERBs from what I can remember.

Take your time and do your homework. Research builders/build time/quality of overall business reputation/pricing/specs./etc. on the internet and ask any knowledgeable player about their headless preference and WHY they choose to play a particular type of bass. :)

If you need any help, e-mail at jay@grasstain.com and I'll be more than happy to get on the phone with you to discuss your specs.

JT

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    The Zon Vinny is sweet. Their making a six stringer bolt-on now.
    [​IMG]

9. Zon is another reputable company that is awesome as well! Just ask Mike Manring! ;)

I'd LOVE to play the new 6er!!

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    For a custom build, try Michael Dolan. You can probably get a basic headless (minimal bells, bangs, and whistles) for $1500-1800.

I have three headless fives: Bunker / PBC, David King, and Status. I think you would like the King the best.

Riis

11. of course there's always the Semi-Headless Doolin...

abghead.

12. I love my Kubicki and I think he's still doing custom work.

13. Freddy

Freddy

Feb 6, 2005
    I would go for Chris Larkin in Ireland, he made me a fantastic headless sixstring singlecut. (www.clc.ie) Chris is great to work with, he always answers emails and you´d get a beautiful instrument no matter what you want. Before I bought my first Larkin bass I used Conklin, Pedulla, Alembics etc, but after I received my first bass from Chris, I´ve never looked back!

14. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    +1 for David King!
    Outside the US you might want to check Martin Petersen's work (www.seibass.com) I personally think these looks just incredibly beautiful. Marleaux also makes a headless

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You gotta get in quick though as I'm sure he has plans to retire.

That said, I love my Kubicki!

16. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Does zon make a 5 string like headless like than?

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Negative. I spoke with Phil Kubicki last week and he denies the rumours of retirement (he's 62...but don't tell anybody). He had even heard that he was already dead. I admire any corpse who answers his own phone.

FWIW, Phil is one of the best in the business when it comes to service, replacement parts, and the like.

Riis

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
  19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have corresponded with him. He seems like a good guy.