Headless Club???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I had a Parallel thread going on the Steinberger Club thread, a TB'er who works for GHS is going to get me the right set. I had no idea there was that much variation over the different manufacturers and string makers, lesson learned! If I can't return the strings, I may put them up grabs for postage, we'll see how it works out.

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I haven't tried that set, I got turned on to the super-light sets by Mark King of Level 42, because I like to bend strings a lot. I think they used to be called "Funkmasters", but I couldn't find the super lights after a while, so I switched to GHS for the last two or three sets. With the super slim neck and those strings, it feels more like a 4 string guitar, but it's the easiest of my basses to play with the arthritis in my hands. I hadn't played for more than a few minutes in months, but I flogged the Steinberger for a couple hours last night, my hands ache! Use it or lose it, I guess, so I'll try some CBD oil and keep playing.

MovinTarget and ctmullins like this.
  3. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    They’re still called Funkmasters and are available online! Awesome set for the money!

MovinTarget likes this.
  4. MovinTarget likes this.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Something a bit different:

I threw this together a few months back, as an experiment/prototype. The body is a cheap (read: disposable) Epiphone EB-0; the neck is a homemade three-piece maple with a 33” scale Pau Ferro fretboard. I think the EB is a cool shape, very rock-n-roll! But I don’t care for short scale necks, and I don’t like the imbalance of a long-scale EB. So this seemed like a good candidate for a headless conversion!

EBH_0721.jpg

The ball-ends are nestled in ferrules in the very rudimentary vestigial headstock.

EBH_0723.jpg

EBH_0722.jpg

The tuners are Kluson bass banjo tuners, mounted in a cove I routed into the body. Originally I used Alpaca Gearless tuners, but their tiny set-screws weren’t strong enough to hold bass strings. Therefore the Klusons are somewhat closer together than they should be. I replaced the keystone buttons with the smallest low-profile Hipshot buttons I could find (mini Rotomatic style).

EBH_0720.jpg

I also decided to stuff four pickups into it. The neck pickup cavity takes a DiMarzio Model One (which I really hate), and from there it’s a SGD Neo under a Tbird cover, then a Delano SBC, then another shiny SGD. The four pickups are routed into a Freeway switch, then to a 500kOhm master volume, then to the jack. The Freeway switch is wired for neck/both/bridge for the black pickups, and neck/both/bridge for the shiny pickups. Simple, intuitive, and (except for the DiMarzio) great-sounding.

Honestly, I didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I do! The neck is still unfinished bare wood, as is the cove for the tuners, because I can’t bring myself to disassemble it for finishing. Weight is exactly 8 lbs (3.6 kg), balance is absolutely perfect (even with my preferred slippery seatbelt strap), and the beveled EB body is super-comfortable. This is the proper way to cure neck-dive!

6. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Just BEAUTIFUL ❤️

ctmullins and MovinTarget like this.
  7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Strange as I have quite the opposite problem. I have a Steinberger XM with stainless aftermarket headpiece that takes both single and double ball end strings. I just put D'addario double ball end strings and they could be 6mm longer. Now the ball ends are almost fully visible when the bass is in tune.Really annoying if the string lengths are not the same with every manufacturer.

Gilmourisgod and MovinTarget like this.
  8. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Zon Vinny 5.jpg

Wanker_Joe, hihat, gigetto and 3 others like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    @MPU
    I actually talked to a GHS tech who said there are at least 3-4 variants of double ball string lengths out there, developed as other companies adopted the Steinberger system, but with slightly different headpiece and bridge designs, so you have to measure really carefully. The GHS guy scrounged a set of "old" strings they dont even make anymore for my bass, and still the E string is too long, go figure. If you find a set that works, buy several sets! Im wondering if I could make the over long strings work by crimping some brass tubing and a washer around the headpiece ends, not great aesthetically, but it might work.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    MovinTarget and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  10. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    My problem is solved. BGStainless headpiece is longer than original Steinberger headpiece. With original headpiece bridge side ball ends are inside the tuners when in tune.

11. hihat

hihat

Dec 30, 2011
    @wellso74 do you have any sound clips of your Zon?

MovinTarget likes this.
  12. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thud Staff likes this.
  13. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Tried to buy them in black... never in stock... I bought some cheap copies, (set of 6, supposedly for guitar or bass), had to bore out one to accommodate the low E (Medium gauge).

They are a little scary, being tiny pieces of metal, trying to anchor big 'ol strings under tension...

I'm either going to look into the NOVA system or see if I can buy just a headpiece...

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    They a
    They appear to be in stock now. I would think that you wouldn't have to bore the ABM pieces out!

15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    You would hope not at that price per piece!

16. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I'm using a NOVA set up on my bass pictured in my avatar. It's wonderful! String change is nearly as quick as with double balls and actually easier than on my NS-Designs headless. Tuners are smooth turning and stable. Great system in my opinion!

MovinTarget and ctmullins like this.
  17. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    and way more cost effective than ABM or Hipshot...

Are you using the base or independent bridge pieces?

18. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Independent. See the attached pic.

Attached Files:

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Cool, I'm trying to figure out which way is better... It looks like the base plate adds considerable height...

20. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Perhaps! Each independent tuner is pretty solid, I can imagine with the baseplate they might have some decent heft. My luthier picked this particular configuration for aesthetics, so I don't know for sure.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021