Headless Club???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Do you have a link for these please?

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but can someone explain the seemingly recent surge in headless basses appearing on the market? Is there anything driving this?

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Convenience is part of it, if you can fit it in a guitar gig bag it makes it much easier to to take on fly dates (if those are even a thing currently). Also if you play small clubs its nice to have a shorter neck. They are also extremely stable as far as intonation goes.

BioDriver and MovinTarget like this.
  4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    ^^ Plus people finally realising Ned was right nearly 40ya.

5. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I think there is a bit of a nostalgia kick going back to the original Steinbergers. Also, this is happening at the same time as the surge in short scale selections. Maybe the manufacturers are seeing the writing on the wall that they need to produce something new/different to get our attention.

BioDriver likes this.
  6. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Reedt2000 and MovinTarget like this.
  7. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    MovinTarget likes this.
  8. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Maybe 80's revival rage is soon to be over, and people starting to get rid of the period basses?

BioDriver likes this.
  9. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Yes, the NOVA base plate adds a bit of height. I had to countersink it on this project. The singles have a shorter base, not requiring countersinking. As an additional comment: The headpiece has to be one of the better surface mount designs I have used in a long time. Of course, with any headpiece, if “perfect straight pull” from nut to anchor taps into your OCD, be ready: it’s not usually accomplished...

145157C1-DDBC-4EF1-835E-FC95B7CF4F95.jpeg
    FB264A9A-4A76-4DA2-81FE-CE48892F4867.jpeg

Reedt2000, Eli_Kyiv and MovinTarget like this.
  10. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for reminding me! I emailed him about 5er options as I only saw 19mm and 18mm. He responded quickly that there is a 16mm (not sure if he meant 16.5mm) or the singles...

But yes, it seems to be a nice compromise between ABM/Hipshot and Overlord of Music (which wouldn't be so bad if it had a more flexible neckpiece like NOVA) price-wise...

Thud Staff likes this.
  11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Down the rabbit hole... but it only seems to be bridges:

12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I actually got the Technology for Musicians headpieces cause they were slightly cheaper and much more available than the ABMs. They've worked well so far, the only downside really is you have to use 2 wood screws (they know about this and provide them) instead of their machine screw. It defeats the purpose of the 2 piece design, but it works. There's a thread about them by @FretsAreFor

T4M (Technology for Musicians) headless hardware review

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thank you. My XL2 is fine, but post move I'm going to spend a couple of days and give it and the 6 Woodbergers all a thorough going over. Clean and lube the bridges, PTFE washers etc and inserts for the Boomerang. Thought I might as well replace the jaws and headpiece just to be sure whilst I'm at it (XL2 only). Are they competitively priced WRT the ones Headless USA sell?

I'm looking at a 6 string set for a build next year. Is the base brass?

Reedt2000, MovinTarget and Thud Staff like this.
  14. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    The base on mine is anodized aluminum. All the bases are aluminum, to my knowledge, based on the printed note he includes for grounding (sanding/grinding the anodization off to expose the metal).

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Here's my submission:
    Strandberg.jpg

Attached Files:

16. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
  17. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Aw man that's such a cool take on headless. How does it sound? Definitely looks like it should be avant garde/edgey/djenty

18. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    I think the other model would fit that, it's got a more edgy tone than this model. This one has shades of a J-Bass when in passive mode, and a more modern tone in active. The eq on board is highly flexible. The tones are amazing. The more I play it, the more I like it. And I haven't even had it a week yet!

Not to mention that it's very light. Just a touch over 7 pounds.

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks. I'm going to email about 6 string bass and guitar sets as I'd love to do a long and short scale (SRC6) pair.

MovinTarget and Thud Staff like this.
  20. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Oooooooooo.....very cool idea!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021