Headless Club???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks. I lucked onto a stock of timber yesterday that I think is enough for 3.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Eli_Kyiv, sonojono and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Well yeah...was that my Dingwall Super-P custom (delivered September 2020) or the Ibanez BTB 6-string fretless (Delivered Feb. 2021). :)

Tapped out for now. But it's a cool one and I'm hearing already that it's underpriced.

5. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Seen it on reverb earlier this morning. Really beautiful, might have a feeling Don Greenwald would snatch it up and make a profit on his HeadlessUSA website. Someone better snag it before he does cause I see this going for more than the selling price!

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I have word that he's already reached out on it to see if he can buy...though I know John is perfectly happy having someone who actually wants to own and play it.

sonojono and MovinTarget like this.
  7. sonojono

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I’ll never forget the time I listed an XM2 in great condition (all it needed was a setup and some touch up on the bridge) and offered me $500 for it :help:

BurningSkies likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yeah, I know John... he won't fall for that. He also knows that he has it listed a bit lower than going rate as it is right now. I believe Don's game is to buy everything he can to corner the market and boost going-rate prices.

Be_eM, MovinTarget and sonojono like this.
  9. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    sonojono, LowEndLobster and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  10. sonojono

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I remember when they first released back around late 2018 early 2019, I was able to get ahold of the owners. Sweet dudes when I realized they’re pretty local where I’m from. I hear nothing but good things and was able to try out those Basses. Personally the tone doesn’t do it for me and the idea of adding new electronics and pickups (which adds to cost of the instrument price) didn’t convince me to go with it.

Comfortability is dead on what lobster explained in the video. Definitely better than the boat shaped Steinberger Spirits (I may be biased but the Steinberger Spirit XZ models are a somewhat better comparison to the Bootlegger in body size) and can see this going somewhere thanks to this video!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention the unfortunate downside of the Bootlegger that shares the same fate as the Steinberger Spirits is the reach to the 3rd fret due to the position of the strap button (not an issue when playing sitting down obviously). An issue that can be mitigated with a strap hook found in the Synapse line which can be bought around the inter webs or 3D Printed!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    MovinTarget and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    With this body design, they could go with a shorter scale and mitigate that reach issue...

12. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Looks like they're designing a short scale version. Chuck emailed me about it yesterday. The one thing that really stood out which I mention in the review is the hardware. The string retention mechanism rules. Easy string changes, much easier than the EHB in my opinion. For the price, I am very impressed with the package overall

Lesfunk and MovinTarget like this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Went to look - it's just a big crossbar with hold-down bolts between the strings, right? Or is it somehow more sophisticated than that?

sonojono and MovinTarget like this.
  14. sonojono

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Don’t get me wrong the mechanism is a nice feature although from my experience they looked a bit unstable (most likely from early production) but I felt more safe with these:

E98C99A2-CFCE-4507-AC40-552CD101DE17.jpeg

Might have to call up Ace Guitars to stop by and order one again since it’s been two years since I last played one.

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    As a headless *and* shortscale enthusiast looking for a travel bass, I would welcome this whole-heartedly and would be happy to be a "tester" :D :D :D

16. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    qaz4r3S.png

Here's a close up pic I took before I sent er back. Each string has their own retainer and the allen key hole is on the FRONT of the headstock as opposed to the back. You simply pop the string through, give it a little tension by pulling, and then tighten the retainer. It's much more than just a cross bar. I had 0 issues with stability and the string change was a breeze. I didn't take any measurements, but the tuning mechanisms as well seem to have a bit more thread length to them vs the EHB which makes it a lot harder to thread-out the tuners (where you can't tune any higher because there's no more thread). Comparing this to the Brice headless which I reviewed last year, the hardware is MUCH better. I actually broke one of the Brice tuners changing strings, and the string retainers at the 'headstock' cut several G strings. TBH, the bootlegger is priced and specced out very nicely and I would absolutely get this over a Brice or Steinberger Spirit. It's not a perfect instrument, but the ergonomics, tone, and modability make this one an easy winner for me.

MovinTarget, sonojono and ctmullins like this.
  17. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ah, I see now. Thanks for that closeup photo! It does look both very easy to use and very secure.

MovinTarget and LowEndLobster like this.
  18. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    sonojono and Reedt2000 like this.
  19. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    TrustRod, sonojono and Thud Staff like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021