Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless Essex (SX) Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xsogol, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever attempted to lop off the head of a perfectly good SX bass and install a headless bridge and tuners like those sold by Status or Allparts?

I was thinking of buying an SX SPB-62 4+1 5-String and doing such a modification. Is this doable?!

Please feel free to give me any advice or feedback if you've tried this. Thanks a ton everyone! :)

2. Rush, it would be considerably easier just to buy a Steinberger Spirit bass from Musicyo.com.

They are not much more expensive than the SX/Brice basses, and very good quality. You'll be MUCH happier that you bought one of them in the long run, rather than going through all that mess trying to turn an SX into a headless.

3. I've looked at the Spirits before and they are intiguing...I really like the XZ 5's...any experience with them?

I do want to attempt to modify another bass like the SX like this too, just to see what it entails.

4. You bet- I own two XZ-25's. They are inexpensive, yet very good quality, sound and finish instruments. I still say if you're really interested in going headless, just snap up an XZ.

Brand new ones are going for just over $300, which isn't much more than you'd spend on the SX and the replacement hardware unless you get a good deal.

There's a very fine black XZ-25 on eBay currently :) I am so tempted to bid on it.. because I know how nice the XZ's are, and the seller is a cool guy to boot. Maybe you should put in a bid..

A number of TB'ers have 'decapitated' their basses.. maybe one of them will put in their 25 cents on this.

5. MichaelVee, how do you like the stock EMG Selects that come in them? Can you get decent growl out of the bridge pickup?

The pickups are probably the only things I'd consider not leaving stock, but if they are decent then I'm golden. :)

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    This is a really cool idea. If you do it, show some pic's I would love to actually try it myself.

7. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    MichaelVee: Have you ever tried flatwounds on them, like the LaBellas? Just wondering....

Thanks!