Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ArtisFallen, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm considering building my next bass as a headless and i've got what i think are only two options, and i wanted to find out the ramifications of each.

#1: Use an extended area off the back of the neck and place regular tuners behind the bridge.

#2: find and Use steinberger bass bridge.

so far I see little problems with either except for i have no friggin clue where to find the second option should that be more favorable than the former. I've seached to no avail.

I need opinions, web sites, anything and everything. also if there's an option i over looked feel free to add it to my list.

2. On thought number1, I believe kramer had a bass like that, headless and regular tuners behind the bridge. Also the old 8 string aluminum neck kramer had 4 at one end.
    Dirk

3. On option 1 check out the Aria Sinsonodia (not sure on spelling) or the Traveller Bass for ideas.

On option 2, Allparts do a ABM version of the Steinberger style headless system or go to Status Graphites website and you can get the individual bridge unit headless system. I only know the uk web site for Allparts and that is www.allparts.uk.com. Status's is a bit more international at www.status-graphite.com. Good luck and show us some pics of it when you can.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Option # 1 = poxy
    Option # 2 also includes the ABM bridges from Allparts (bestbassgear is also an agent) or Moses. The individual string headless tuner bridges (made by ABM) are available from Status (UK) as is a headpiece.
    I have both ABM types, two different Status sets (on basses) and a Steinberger one my Hohner and they all work fine.
    Bunker also do a bridge/headpiece kit, but I've never even seen one so I dunno what it's like.

5. I'm working on a headless bass right now and I bought the bridge pieces and string retainer from the Status website. They are quite a bit cheaper than the ABM bridge. The Status bridge units are singles costing about $35 a piece. And the string retainer was about the same. I haven't put them on the bass yet, buy the are well made and solid.