Headless Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ArtisFallen, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm considering building my next bass as a headless and i've got what i think are only two options, and i wanted to find out the ramifications of each.

#1: Use an extended area off the back of the neck and place regular tuners behind the bridge.

#2: find and Use steinberger bass bridge.

so far I see little problems with either except for i have no friggin clue where to find the second option should that be more favorable than the former. I've seached to no avail.

I need opinions, web sites, anything and everything. also if there's an option i over looked feel free to add it to my list.
  2. On thought number1, I believe kramer had a bass like that, headless and regular tuners behind the bridge. Also the old 8 string aluminum neck kramer had 4 at one end.
  3. On option 1 check out the Aria Sinsonodia (not sure on spelling) or the Traveller Bass for ideas.

On option 2, Allparts do a ABM version of the Steinberger style headless system or go to Status Graphites website and you can get the individual bridge unit headless system. I only know the uk web site for Allparts and that is www.allparts.uk.com. Status's is a bit more international at www.status-graphite.com. Good luck and show us some pics of it when you can.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Option # 1 = poxy
    Option # 2 also includes the ABM bridges from Allparts (bestbassgear is also an agent) or Moses. The individual string headless tuner bridges (made by ABM) are available from Status (UK) as is a headpiece.
    I have both ABM types, two different Status sets (on basses) and a Steinberger one my Hohner and they all work fine.
    Bunker also do a bridge/headpiece kit, but I've never even seen one so I dunno what it's like.
  5. I'm working on a headless bass right now and I bought the bridge pieces and string retainer from the Status website. They are quite a bit cheaper than the ABM bridge. The Status bridge units are singles costing about $35 a piece. And the string retainer was about the same. I haven't put them on the bass yet, buy the are well made and solid.